Old 20-05-2011, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wormery "Liquor"

I collect a far amount of liquid from a wormery.

Does it need letting down before using on plants - or just use as is?

Old 20-05-2011, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 20 May 2011 16:07:36 +0100, Judith
wrote:

I collect a far amount of liquid from a wormery.

Does it need letting down before using on plants - or just use as is?

I dilute 10cl to a litre of water (if you want to be inaacurate,
increase the water not the juice). Remember that worm juice (I prefer
that term to "leachate") has a shelf life so you should be using it
regularly once production starts. If you're getting juice faster than
you can use it, increasing the ratio of bread type waste to vegetable
feeds them nicely whilst reducing the liquid production. I'm not a fan
of adding cardboard or paper to a wormery.
Old 21-05-2011, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I collect a far amount of liquid from a wormery.

Does it need letting down before using on plants - or just use as is?

I dilute 10cl to a litre of water (if you want to be inaacurate,
increase the water not the juice). Remember that worm juice (I prefer
that term to "leachate") has a shelf life so you should be using it
regularly once production starts. If you're getting juice faster than
you can use it, increasing the ratio of bread type waste to vegetable
feeds them nicely whilst reducing the liquid production. I'm not a fan
of adding cardboard or paper to a wormery.

Thanks - job done. Transplanted courgette's in to the wormery solids at base
of holes - watered in with 10 to 1 solution of the worm juice.

Old 21-05-2011, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I collect a far amount of liquid from a wormery.

Does it need letting down before using on plants - or just use as is?

I dilute 10cl to a litre of water (if you want to be inaacurate,
increase the water not the juice). Remember that worm juice (I prefer
that term to "leachate") has a shelf life so you should be using it
regularly once production starts. If you're getting juice faster than
you can use it, increasing the ratio of bread type waste to vegetable
feeds them nicely whilst reducing the liquid production. I'm not a fan
of adding cardboard or paper to a wormery.

Thanks - job done. Transplanted courgette's in to the wormery solids at base
of holes - watered in with 10 to 1 solution of the worm juice.

Judith - that's another debate. I've never used the solids "neat" but
mix them with other stuff. I thought that the bottom layer of the
wormery would be too strong without a mixing.

When emptying the bottom layer I always mix a good wad (about a fifth
of it) back into the top and try to pick out any worms I find in the
rest as well.

Am I doing this wrong?

Jake
Old 21-05-2011, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I split the contents of the wormery in to approx three parts : the top part is
that which has not yet rotted down/been eaten; the second is that which is
currently being eaten - where the majority of the worms are; then at the bottom
there is the oldest part which I find has few worms in it. It is only that
third which I use.

I have always used it by making a hole for whatever I am planting; putting the
"worm compost" in the bottom of that hole, and then putting the contents of the
plant pot on top of that base.

I must admit that I have no idea whether this is good practice or not !!!

Let's hope others can share experience and ideas.

(I must admit I am very impressed with the wormery - I have now had for about
three or four years; much better than a com poster in my opinion)

Old 21-05-2011, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Ah. Methinks you are taking the "proper" approach and I am lazy,
forsooth! My wormery is more easy to manage. Still on the market at:

http://www.dobies.co.uk/Shop/Gardeni...ery+581290.htm

I tip out bottom tray into a wheelbarrow (scoop out some to go back
into the tray which then goes on the top of the contraption) and add
my compost in appropriate proportions to make a planting mix. But if
your method works, don't change it. I'll try it and see if I get
better results.
Cheers
Jake

Tis better to be Gills "Chew Toy" than one of Roy "Tristain" Hauer's "SOCKS" Tristan Ponds 0 03-01-2007 02:39 PM
Expert Says Hard Liquor Helps Houseplants Charles Gardening 3 10-04-2006 03:41 PM
how to make a wormery teapot United Kingdom 0 15-01-2003 08:30 PM
Wormery Pauline Jones United Kingdom 6 13-11-2002 11:09 PM
Any Wormery recs? Jaffacake United Kingdom 0 19-10-2002 07:59 PM