GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Poorly oak tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/197244-poorly-oak-tree.html)

Moonraker 25-05-2011 12:50 PM

Poorly oak tree

I have 2 oak trees in my garden. The smaller one with a trunk
circumference of about 1 foot came into leaf as normal. Now however the
leaves are dying, could it be the dreaded disease that is about? If so
what should I do, the other tree,about 10 metres away is fine.

Dave Hill 25-05-2011 01:30 PM

Poorly oak tree

On May 25, 12:50*pm, Moonraker wrote:
I have 2 oak trees in my garden. The smaller one with a trunk
circumference of about 1 foot came into leaf as normal. Now however the
leaves are dying, could it be the dreaded disease that is about? If so
what should I do, the other tree,about 10 metres away is fine.

It could well be the dry weather knocking it, if si it will almost
certainly come back into leaf when you get some good rain 9A few
inches)
If you think it's sudden oak death then google sudden oak death
symptoms in immages

Christina Websell 27-05-2011 01:27 AM

Poorly oak tree

"Moonraker" wrote in message
I have 2 oak trees in my garden. The smaller one with a trunk circumference
of about 1 foot came into leaf as normal. Now however the leaves are dying,
could it be the dreaded disease that is about? If so what should I do, the
other tree,about 10 metres away is fine.

Try giving it a few gallons of water every day. That's what I would do, to
see if it helps. It's quite a young tree and may be struggling with the dry
weather.

Moonraker 27-05-2011 01:07 PM

Poorly oak tree

On 2011-05-27 01:27:44 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Moonraker" wrote in message
I have 2 oak trees in my garden. The smaller one with a trunk
circumference
of about 1 foot came into leaf as normal. Now however the leaves are
dying,
could it be the dreaded disease that is about? If so what should I
do, the
other tree,about 10 metres away is fine.

Try giving it a few gallons of water every day. That's what I would
do, to
see if it helps. It's quite a young tree and may be struggling with
the dry
weather.

If it can be done without damaging the tree, sinking a piece of piping
into the soil around it and pouring water down that would help get it
straight to the roots.

I don't think it is water shortage as it is only a few feet from a pond,
it has been there quite a while, it was there when I purchased the
property 11 years ago.

Christina Websell 02-06-2011 08:15 PM

Poorly oak tree

On 2011-05-27 01:27:44 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

"Moonraker" wrote in message
[...]

-- Do you think it is taking water from your pond?

It isn't. Give the poor thing some water every day. It's suffering.