Old 07-06-2011, 08:23 AM
may may is offline
Registered User

Unhappy Its everywhere

not sure if its a weed but its driving me CRAZY, its a low growing heartshaped leaf with a very small purple flower in early spring.

and it has taken over ALL OF MY GARDEN, it grows through all of my rockery plants and even tries to climb up my low growing roderdenrons, it has taken over my pot plants and everyspace it can , i have lived in the same house for 34 years and i have never had this problem before .

i am having to dig up my rockery plants just to try and get rid of it .

its got the stage where i am thinking ok you win
Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by may View Post
not sure if its a weed but its driving me CRAZY, its a low growing heartshaped leaf with a very small purple flower in early spring.

and it has taken over ALL OF MY GARDEN, it grows through all of my rockery plants and even tries to climb up my low growing roderdenrons, it has taken over my pot plants and everyspace it can , i have lived in the same house for 34 years and i have never had this problem before .

i am having to dig up my rockery plants just to try and get rid of it .

its got the stage where i am thinking ok you win
More details would help. "low growing" but "tries to climb" - can you explain this a bit more? What shape are the flowers - how many petals, are the flowers symmetrical. Photo if possible would be really helpful

Meanwhile, do a google image search on "dog violet"
__________________
Old 07-06-2011, 01:26 PM
may may is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
More details would help. "low growing" but "tries to climb" - can you explain this a bit more? What shape are the flowers - how many petals, are the flowers symmetrical. Photo if possible would be really helpful

Meanwhile, do a google image search on "dog violet"

Wild Violet Weed | Garden Guides

i think it may be this one,i notice that it says it can be agressive and is difficult
Old 07-06-2011, 02:59 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by may View Post
Wild Violet Weed | Garden Guides

i think it may be this one,i notice that it says it can be agressive and is difficult
That's an american species. I'm not aware of it being in the UK.

But I think we've established that it's one of the violets that you've got. It seeds prolifically, but you should be able to get on top of it, even among your alpines, if you pull out all the seedlings while they're still young (before flowering) and then carry on pulling it out wherever you see it.

I use it as an edging to my beds and manage not to be overwhelmed by it. It doesn't regenerate from bits of root (like couch or ground elder for example) so it's not as difficult as those to keep in check.