GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Saplings in ditches. Whens the best time to dig them up and replant? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/198284-saplings-ditches-whens-best-time-dig-them-up-replant.html)

Pendrag0n[_2_] 15-06-2011 05:49 PM

Saplings in ditches. Whens the best time to dig them up and replant?

Lots of saplings growing in the ditches around here I noticed while
cycling. Not sure what the trees are called but they look good enough
for my plot. When would be the best time to dig them up and replant
them here?

farmers cut the ditches each year so they wont mind. Saplings range
from about 12 inches up to a few feet tall.

TIA

Bob Hobden 15-06-2011 06:32 PM

Saplings in ditches. Whens the best time to dig them up and replant?

"Pendrag0n" wrote

Lots of saplings growing in the ditches around here I noticed while
cycling. Not sure what the trees are called but they look good enough
for my plot. When would be the best time to dig them up and replant
them here?

farmers cut the ditches each year so they wont mind. Saplings range
from about 12 inches up to a few feet tall.

In the winter when the trees are dormant. Why not collect some seeds and
plant those.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Pendrag0n[_2_] 15-06-2011 06:44 PM

Saplings in ditches. Whens the best time to dig them up and replant?

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 18:32:51 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Pendrag0n" wrote

Lots of saplings growing in the ditches around here I noticed while
cycling. Not sure what the trees are called but they look good enough
for my plot. When would be the best time to dig them up and replant
them here?

farmers cut the ditches each year so they wont mind. Saplings range
from about 12 inches up to a few feet tall.

In the winter when the trees are dormant.

OK thanks.

Why not collect some seeds and
plant those.

Not my bag I'm afraid. I just like the idea of maybe rescuing a few.

harry 15-06-2011 07:15 PM

On Jun 15, 5:49*pm, Pendrag0n wrote:
Lots of saplings growing in the ditches around here I noticed while
cycling. Not sure what the trees are called but they look good enough
for my plot. When would be the best time to dig them up and replant
them here?

farmers cut the ditches each year so they wont mind. Saplings range
from about 12 inches up to a few feet tall.

TIA

You need to know what they are. May not be a good idea.
But December Jan Feb March is the time to transplant.