Old 26-06-2011, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Level a lawn?

A couple of years ago, I rotavated my existing uneven lawn and then
levelled it off using a mixture of sharp sand and compost before I
re-seeded it.

Since then with heavy rainfalls the ground has gone like a cobbled
street, or it feels that way when I push my lawn mower over it to cut
the grass.

What should I do or what is the best way to take out the indentations or
uneveness?

I have tried rolling it both during seeding and afterwards when the
grass had been growing for a month or so, but that dind't make much
difference.

Thanks
Old 26-06-2011, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob H" wrote

A couple of years ago, I rotavated my existing uneven lawn and then
levelled it off using a mixture of sharp sand and compost before I
re-seeded it.

Since then with heavy rainfalls the ground has gone like a cobbled street,
or it feels that way when I push my lawn mower over it to cut the grass.

What should I do or what is the best way to take out the indentations or
uneveness?

I have tried rolling it both during seeding and afterwards when the grass
had been growing for a month or so, but that dind't make much difference.

Top dress with a mixture of loam and sand using a board to get it level,
unless the hollows are very deep the grass should grow through. If the
hollows are deep then do it in a few goes, actually you will probably have
to have a few goes at it anyway.
Alternatively if the hollows are very deep then using a spade lift up a turf
and sprinkle soil beneath the grass to bring it up level. Keep watered.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-06-2011, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/06/2011 17:17, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Bob H" wrote

[...]

Thanks for the reply. What type of sand should I use: sharp or builders?
Old 26-06-2011, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 19:02:48 +0100, Bob H wrote:

Thanks for the reply. What type of sand should I use: sharp or builders?

Sharp

Rolling only flattens and consolidates the 'top of the bumps' ,
filling the 'dips' is the easiest way.

course choice. RHS level 2 or NCFE level 3? Binz United Kingdom 0 05-11-2012 08:04 PM
Raising level of lawn John S G Lawns 6 23-08-2007 03:51 AM
Was turf cutter - how to level lawn Ian Waddell United Kingdom 3 03-04-2005 09:16 PM
Homemade compost to build up lawn level? Michael Brewer United Kingdom 21 18-03-2004 01:25 PM
Homemade compost to build up lawn level? Michael Brewer United Kingdom 0 15-03-2004 01:40 PM