Old 07-07-2011, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grumble...grumble...

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Just went for a nostalgic look at our old allotment.

I was far too honest and told the coucil that we were away over winter on
a world tour.
They said we couldn't keep the allotment as there was a long waiting list.

Surprise, surprise, there is no indication that the plot has been touched
since we cleared it last autumn.

I have written to the coucil requesting that they reasign the plot to us.

We shall see; even if we do get it back we have lost much of this year's
growing season.

Acknowledgement from the coucil - person dealing with allocations is on
holiday this week but will investigate when back.

I copied in the Allotment Society on the original email, who were very
supportive.

The council retained the 'cc' on their reply which I thought was nice of
them.

No great hopes though as there are bound to be others on the waiting list
above us; we went back on the list when they reallocated the plot.

Our local allotment site has been under used for decades and keen gardeners
have been allowed to take on mulitple plots.
Some of them are almost homes from home with sheds, trees, grassy play areas
for kids etc.
This gives a nice feeling to the whole allotment IMHO.
However as there is a waiting list the plot holders of larger allocations
are being persuaded to release some, and these are then being allocated as
half plots.
Some are also getting too old to maintain large (or in some cases any) plots
so there are more plots becoming available albeit at a slow rate.

New round of allocations in September, anyway, so something might come up.

However we did like our original plot and put a lot of effort into it in our
first year.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]