GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pruning (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/199045-pruning.html)

vomog 27-07-2011 10:16 AM

Pruning

1 Attachment(s)
I removed this Apple tree from a garden cos my friend was moving. It looks like it needs a good prune. It stands about 10ft high. Is it possible someone could Photoshop this photo and mark where they think i should prune, and when?
Would be much appreciated.

kay 27-07-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vomog (Post 931226)
I removed this Apple tree from a garden cos my friend was moving. It looks like it needs a good prune. It stands about 10ft high. Is it possible someone could Photoshop this photo and mark where they think i should prune, and when?
Would be much appreciated.

When did you take this photo? I hope it was much earlier in the year!

harry 27-07-2011 07:46 PM

Pruning

On Jul 27, 10:16*am, vomog wrote:
I removed this Apple tree from a garden cos my friend was moving. It
looks like it needs a good prune. It stands about 10ft high. Is it
possible someone could Photoshop this photo and mark where they think i
should prune, and when?
Would be much appreciated.

|Filename: tree.jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14345|

vomog

Not a good time to be doing any of this work. When it has no leaves on
and cool wet weather is the time. You need to get it buried & lots of
water tootsweet.
It will probably die anyway.

vomog 27-07-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kay (Post 931248)
When did you take this photo? I hope it was much earlier in the year!

Unfortunately not! I had no choice but to lift it in blossom. I should have pruned when replanting. Lost all its blossom but is slowly recovering (I hope)

kay 27-07-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vomog (Post 931275)
Unfortunately not! I had no choice but to lift it in blossom. I should have pruned when replanting. Lost all its blossom but is slowly recovering (I hope)

Well, it doesn't actually look ill ... except that not only is it short of apples, it's short of leaves as well!

Keep it very well watered for the rest of the season and hope for the best. Pruning to encourage growth is best done in the dormant season

harry 28-07-2011 07:35 AM

Pruning

On Jul 27, 10:16*am, vomog wrote:
I removed this Apple tree from a garden cos my friend was moving. It
looks like it needs a good prune. It stands about 10ft high. Is it
possible someone could Photoshop this photo and mark where they think i
should prune, and when?
Would be much appreciated.

|Filename: tree.jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14345|

vomog

It is not the time of year for this sort of thing ( Winter is best).
It will probably die.
You need to plant it (no pruning) ASAP and lots of water & hope for
the best.

vomog 28-07-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry (Post 931343)
On Jul 27, 10:16*am, vomog wrote:
I removed this Apple tree from a garden cos my friend was moving. It
looks like it needs a good prune. It stands about 10ft high. Is it
possible someone could Photoshop this photo and mark where they think i
should prune, and when?
Would be much appreciated.

|Filename: tree.jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14345|

vomog

It is not the time of year for this sort of thing ( Winter is best).
It will probably die.
You need to plant it (no pruning) ASAP and lots of water & hope for
the best.

It's been planted for about 2 months! Lost most of its foliage,but seems to be hanging in there. Thanks for all the comments.

kay 28-07-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vomog (Post 931345)
It's been planted for about 2 months! Lost most of its foliage,but seems to be hanging in there. Thanks for all the comments.

If the foliage that it has is new foliage, then it's doing OK. Wait until the end of winter before pruning. Then start by cutting back any dead wood - you can usually see the difference, but if not, scratch the bark - live wood is green underneath the bark, dead wood is a very dead-looking brown.

After that, take another photo and ask us again!