Old 27-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Registered User

Default Pruning

I removed this Apple tree from a garden cos my friend was moving. It looks like it needs a good prune. It stands about 10ft high. Is it possible someone could Photoshop this photo and mark where they think i should prune, and when?
Would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Pruning-tree.jpg
Old 27-07-2011, 11:58 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vomog View Post
I removed this Apple tree from a garden cos my friend was moving. It looks like it needs a good prune. It stands about 10ft high. Is it possible someone could Photoshop this photo and mark where they think i should prune, and when?
Would be much appreciated.
When did you take this photo? I hope it was much earlier in the year!
__________________
Old 27-07-2011, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 27, 10:16*am, vomog wrote:
I removed this Apple tree from a garden cos my friend was moving. It
looks like it needs a good prune. It stands about 10ft high. Is it
possible someone could Photoshop this photo and mark where they think i
should prune, and when?
Would be much appreciated.

|Filename: tree.jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14345|

vomog

Not a good time to be doing any of this work. When it has no leaves on
and cool wet weather is the time. You need to get it buried & lots of
water tootsweet.
It will probably die anyway.
Old 27-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
When did you take this photo? I hope it was much earlier in the year!
Unfortunately not! I had no choice but to lift it in blossom. I should have pruned when replanting. Lost all its blossom but is slowly recovering (I hope)
Old 27-07-2011, 10:28 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vomog View Post
Unfortunately not! I had no choice but to lift it in blossom. I should have pruned when replanting. Lost all its blossom but is slowly recovering (I hope)
Well, it doesn't actually look ill ... except that not only is it short of apples, it's short of leaves as well!

Keep it very well watered for the rest of the season and hope for the best. Pruning to encourage growth is best done in the dormant season
__________________

Old 28-07-2011, 07:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 27, 10:16*am, vomog wrote:
I removed this Apple tree from a garden cos my friend was moving. It
looks like it needs a good prune. It stands about 10ft high. Is it
possible someone could Photoshop this photo and mark where they think i
should prune, and when?
Would be much appreciated.

|Filename: tree.jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14345|

vomog

It is not the time of year for this sort of thing ( Winter is best).
It will probably die.
You need to plant it (no pruning) ASAP and lots of water & hope for
the best.
Old 28-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
On Jul 27, 10:16*am, vomog wrote:
I removed this Apple tree from a garden cos my friend was moving. It
looks like it needs a good prune. It stands about 10ft high. Is it
possible someone could Photoshop this photo and mark where they think i
should prune, and when?
Would be much appreciated.

|Filename: tree.jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14345|

vomog

It is not the time of year for this sort of thing ( Winter is best).
It will probably die.
You need to plant it (no pruning) ASAP and lots of water & hope for
the best.
It's been planted for about 2 months! Lost most of its foliage,but seems to be hanging in there. Thanks for all the comments.
Old 28-07-2011, 11:29 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vomog View Post
It's been planted for about 2 months! Lost most of its foliage,but seems to be hanging in there. Thanks for all the comments.
If the foliage that it has is new foliage, then it's doing OK. Wait until the end of winter before pruning. Then start by cutting back any dead wood - you can usually see the difference, but if not, scratch the bark - live wood is green underneath the bark, dead wood is a very dead-looking brown.

After that, take another photo and ask us again!

[IBC] Root Pruning, and Top Pruning Brent Walston Bonsai 4 01-07-2004 11:02 PM
Root Pruning, and Top Pruning Andrew G Bonsai 0 30-06-2004 01:05 PM
Pruning Artemisia Polar Gardening 2 01-04-2003 05:56 AM
pruning questions rosemarie face Gardening 6 04-02-2003 07:50 AM
Hibiscus pruning T.L.Miller Gardening 0 26-01-2003 01:54 PM