GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fuchsia Deep Purple (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/199102-fuchsia-deep-purple.html)

jaycee 31-07-2011 11:22 AM

Fuchsia Deep Purple

Hi, can anybody tell me if I can train Deep Purple into a standard, and is it hardy? Thanks, Jane

Plants_Galore 02-08-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycee (Post 931398)
Hi, can anybody tell me if I can train Deep Purple into a standard, and is it hardy? Thanks, Jane

Hi, Jane

I thought fuschia deep purple was a trailing variety?

Scotkat 08-08-2011 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plants_Galore (Post 931435)
Hi, Jane

I thought fuschia deep purple was a trailing variety?

Its so exciting and a great challenge trying to grow standards with any fuchsias.

Go for it.

I am trying to grow a standard from one that came through the winter in our garden .

And lucky me it had 3 leaves the best type try a standard 2 leaves work well too.

Have a go and let me know how you are getting on or a photo please.

jaycee 08-08-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotkat (Post 931496)
Its so exciting and a great challenge trying to grow standards with any fuchsias.

Go for it.

I am trying to grow a standard from one that came through the winter in our garden .

And lucky me it had 3 leaves the best type try a standard 2 leaves work well too.

Have a go and let me know how you are getting on or a photo please.

Thanks for your reply ScotKat, unfortunately I didn't win Deep Purple (was bidding on eBay) but won some others, so I'll try them and post photos if successful. By the way is it too late to start taking cuttings from plug plants at this time of year, or should I wait until next spring (assuming it's a warm one in the UK!!). Thanks, Jaycee

Scotkat 08-08-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycee (Post 932310)
Thanks for your reply ScotKat, unfortunately I didn't win Deep Purple (was bidding on eBay) but won some others, so I'll try them and post photos if successful. By the way is it too late to start taking cuttings from plug plants at this time of year, or should I wait until next spring (assuming it's a warm one in the UK!!). Thanks, Jaycee

Are they in flower Jaycee?

Sorry you never won on Ebay .

Pm me happy to send cuttings when mine are ready .

And if your plug fuchsias are still small I would say not but if they are bigger plants yes you can take tip cuttings.

Can you overwinter your fuchsias?