GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant ID Please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/199298-plant-id-please.html)

Granity 12-08-2011 03:49 PM

Plant ID Please

My wife took this photo in Austria but nobody could tell her what it was. It looks familiar to me but it's name escapes me. Thanks in advance

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...d/DSCF1821.jpg

kay 12-08-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granity (Post 932777)
My wife took this photo in Austria but nobody could tell her what it was. It looks familiar to me but it's name escapes me. Thanks in advance

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...d/DSCF1821.jpg

Pokeweed, Phytolacca

Pam Moore[_2_] 12-08-2011 09:03 PM

Plant ID Please

On 2011-08-12 15:49:35 +0100, Granity
said:

My wife took this photo in Austria but nobody could tell her what it
was. It looks familiar to me but it's name escapes me. Thanks in advance

http://tinyurl.com/3pvmt3s

Looks like pokeweed, Phytolacca americana.

Amazing. I've only ever seen this growing once, in The Courts NT
garden in Wiltshire. I couldn't remember the name but the berries are
poisonous, I think. Then tonight, Monty saw it growing and said he
didn't know what it was, so well done Sacha!

Pam in Bristol

Granity 12-08-2011 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kay (Post 932796)
Pokeweed, Phytolacca

Thanks for that Kay, I passed the info onto the wife. Then tonight on GW it was shown in the Ambassador's garden, a real co-incidence.

Dave Hill 12-08-2011 10:17 PM

Plant ID Please

On 2011-08-12 15:49:35 +0100, Granity
said:

My wife took this photo in Austria but nobody could tell her what it
was. It looks familiar to me but it's name escapes me. Thanks in advance

http://tinyurl.com/3pvmt3s

Looks like pokeweed, Phytolacca americana.

Amazing. *I've only ever seen this growing once, in The Courts NT
garden in Wiltshire. *I couldn't remember the name but the berries are
poisonous, I think. *Then tonight, Monty saw it growing and said he
didn't know what it was, so well done Sacha!

Pam in Bristol

I've grown it for a few years, sold some at plant sales
Interesting but nothing to rave over.

Granity 13-08-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] (Post 932859)

On 2011-08-12 15:49:35 +0100, Granity
said:

My wife took this photo in Austria but nobody could tell her what it
was. It looks familiar to me but it's name escapes me. Thanks in advance

http://tinyurl.com/3pvmt3s

Looks like pokeweed, Phytolacca americana.

Amazing. I've only ever seen this growing once, in The Courts NT
garden in Wiltshire. I couldn't remember the name but the berries are
poisonous, I think. Then tonight, Monty saw it growing and said he
didn't know what it was, so well done Sacha!

Pam in Bristol

We sell it, Pam, so not really clver of me, though thank you! We're
out of it this year but as we have a few people waiting for next year's
lot, it seems to be one of those plants that's becoming popular as an
ornamental. We were amazed/amused to see it on GW tonight.
--
Sacha
Buy plants online, including rare and exotic plant varieties from Hill House Nursery

There's something very strange here, as when I replied saying thank you to Kay hers was the only post on here yet this morning I see Sacha had also replied, and considerably earlier, so thank you sacha as well.

Phil Cook 13-08-2011 12:22 PM

Plant ID Please

On 2011-08-13 08:09:57 +0100, Granity
said:

There's something very strange here, as when I replied saying thank you
to Kay hers was the only post on here yet this morning I see Sacha had
also replied, and considerably earlier, so thank you sacha as well.

That's ok - things do get out of sync.

Yes, there are many servers on usenet and many routes between them.
Messages propogate at different speeds. They're not all F2 hybrids. :-)
--
Phil Cook

Janet Tweedy 15-08-2011 06:56 PM

Plant ID Please

In article , Pam Moore
writes
Amazing. I've only ever seen this growing once,

There's a lot at Waterperry gardens just off M40
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Pam Moore[_2_] 15-08-2011 11:12 PM

Plant ID Please

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 18:56:54 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Pam Moore
writes
Amazing. I've only ever seen this growing once,

There's a lot at Waterperry gardens just off M40

Been there, didn't see it. Maybe wrong time of year. I forget!

Pam in Bristol

Janet Tweedy 18-08-2011 03:17 PM

Plant ID Please

In article , Pam Moore
writes
Been there, didn't see it. Maybe wrong time of year. I forget!

Pam in Bristol

It's on the left hand side if you are facing the long border in front of
the wall. It's at the very end Pam.

Pam Moore[_2_] 19-08-2011 03:27 PM

Plant ID Please

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:17:39 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Pam Moore
writes
Been there, didn't see it. Maybe wrong time of year. I forget!

Pam in Bristol

It's on the left hand side if you are facing the long border in front of
the wall. It's at the very end Pam.

Thanks Janet but don't expect I'll get there again. Went once on a
coach tip. Nice though!

Pam in Bristol