Old 12-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire
Default Plant ID Please

My wife took this photo in Austria but nobody could tell her what it was. It looks familiar to me but it's name escapes me. Thanks in advance

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...d/DSCF1821.jpg
Old 12-08-2011, 07:17 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
My wife took this photo in Austria but nobody could tell her what it was. It looks familiar to me but it's name escapes me. Thanks in advance

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1...d/DSCF1821.jpg
Pokeweed, Phytolacca
__________________
Old 12-08-2011, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-08-12 15:49:35 +0100, Granity
said:

My wife took this photo in Austria but nobody could tell her what it
was. It looks familiar to me but it's name escapes me. Thanks in advance

http://tinyurl.com/3pvmt3s

Looks like pokeweed, Phytolacca americana.

Amazing. I've only ever seen this growing once, in The Courts NT
garden in Wiltshire. I couldn't remember the name but the berries are
poisonous, I think. Then tonight, Monty saw it growing and said he
didn't know what it was, so well done Sacha!

Pam in Bristol
Old 12-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
Pokeweed, Phytolacca
Thanks for that Kay, I passed the info onto the wife. Then tonight on GW it was shown in the Ambassador's garden, a real co-incidence.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2011-08-12 15:49:35 +0100, Granity
said:

My wife took this photo in Austria but nobody could tell her what it
was. It looks familiar to me but it's name escapes me. Thanks in advance

http://tinyurl.com/3pvmt3s

Looks like pokeweed, Phytolacca americana.

Amazing. *I've only ever seen this growing once, in The Courts NT
garden in Wiltshire. *I couldn't remember the name but the berries are
poisonous, I think. *Then tonight, Monty saw it growing and said he
didn't know what it was, so well done Sacha!

Pam in Bristol

I've grown it for a few years, sold some at plant sales
Interesting but nothing to rave over.

Old 13-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post

On 2011-08-12 15:49:35 +0100, Granity
said:

My wife took this photo in Austria but nobody could tell her what it
was. It looks familiar to me but it's name escapes me. Thanks in advance

http://tinyurl.com/3pvmt3s

Looks like pokeweed, Phytolacca americana.

Amazing. I've only ever seen this growing once, in The Courts NT
garden in Wiltshire. I couldn't remember the name but the berries are
poisonous, I think. Then tonight, Monty saw it growing and said he
didn't know what it was, so well done Sacha!

Pam in Bristol

We sell it, Pam, so not really clver of me, though thank you! We're
out of it this year but as we have a few people waiting for next year's
lot, it seems to be one of those plants that's becoming popular as an
ornamental. We were amazed/amused to see it on GW tonight.
--
Sacha
Buy plants online, including rare and exotic plant varieties from Hill House Nursery
Old 13-08-2011, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-08-13 08:09:57 +0100, Granity
said:

There's something very strange here, as when I replied saying thank you
to Kay hers was the only post on here yet this morning I see Sacha had
also replied, and considerably earlier, so thank you sacha as well.

That's ok - things do get out of sync.

Yes, there are many servers on usenet and many routes between them.
Messages propogate at different speeds. They're not all F2 hybrids. :-)
--
Phil Cook
Old 15-08-2011, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Pam Moore
writes
Amazing. I've only ever seen this growing once,

There's a lot at Waterperry gardens just off M40
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 15-08-2011, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 18:56:54 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Pam Moore
writes
Amazing. I've only ever seen this growing once,

There's a lot at Waterperry gardens just off M40

Been there, didn't see it. Maybe wrong time of year. I forget!

Pam in Bristol
Old 18-08-2011, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Pam Moore
writes
Been there, didn't see it. Maybe wrong time of year. I forget!

Pam in Bristol

It's on the left hand side if you are facing the long border in front of
the wall. It's at the very end Pam.

Old 19-08-2011, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 15:17:39 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Pam Moore
writes
Been there, didn't see it. Maybe wrong time of year. I forget!

Pam in Bristol

It's on the left hand side if you are facing the long border in front of
the wall. It's at the very end Pam.

Thanks Janet but don't expect I'll get there again. Went once on a
coach tip. Nice though!

Pam in Bristol