Old 17-08-2011, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Green Garlic

Having pulled and dried my garlic, I notice that it has grown so well
that some of the bulbs have split as the cloves have expanded. The
cloves have turned green on the outside, instead of the purlish colour
they should be.

Are they OK to eat and will they store? (I'm pretty sure they are, but
SWMBO wants reassurance!)

Thanks

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 17-08-2011, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/08/2011 12:00, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Having pulled and dried my garlic, I notice that it has grown so well
that some of the bulbs have split as the cloves have expanded. The
cloves have turned green on the outside, instead of the purlish colour
they should be.

Are they OK to eat and will they store? (I'm pretty sure they are, but
SWMBO wants reassurance!)

It has been a funny year for garlic.
Amongst the odder ones I have seen a

a single garlic clove has grown into a small round onion shape.

some have nice flowers on, and some have a similar structure but with a
host of small bulbs instead of flowers at the top.

These are all mainstream garlics growing in a clay soil.

The onions by comparison have been well behaved and are fattening up
nicely. Trace of blight on the spuds though

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 17-08-2011, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin Brown wrote:
a single garlic clove has grown into a small round onion shape.

Isn't that a lack of a cold spell? And I believe elephant garlic is 'meant'
to do that.

The onions by comparison have been well behaved and are fattening up
nicely. Trace of blight on the spuds though

No blight (touch wood) on my allotment so far. Nick was stunned that I have
unblighted tomatoes, apparently everyone else's have succumbed already. So
that's a thumbs up to the blight resistant strain I used, if only I could
remember what it was ...
(could have been 'shirley' - sure it wasn't 'ferline', cos I only had an
empty packet for them!)

Wonder if they were also protected cos they are growing 'under' the beans,
and the bean leaves may stop the fungus floating in ..
Old 17-08-2011, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roger Tonkin wrote in
:

Having pulled and dried my garlic, I notice that it has grown so well
that some of the bulbs have split as the cloves have expanded. The
cloves have turned green on the outside, instead of the purlish colour
they should be.

Are they OK to eat and will they store? (I'm pretty sure they are, but
SWMBO wants reassurance!)

Thanks

I have the same and also many others are just like an onion, as in one
large bulb. I have only grown garlic for 2 years, this is year 2 and last
year every one was perfect and have used them to plant this year.

I can't offer any advice but at least you are not alone.

Baz

Old 17-08-2011, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:
On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 12:00:00 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

Having pulled and dried my garlic, I notice that it has grown so well
that some of the bulbs have split as the cloves have expanded. The
cloves have turned green on the outside, instead of the purlish colour
they should be.

Are they OK to eat and will they store? (I'm pretty sure they are, but
SWMBO wants reassurance!)

They are not in the potato family so I don't think it makes any
difference . I would have no hesitation using them.

That is a seriously dangerous criterion; many other plants share
that property.

However, they are Allium, and all parts of all of the ones I know
of are edible, though some of the decorative ones may not be.
I would have no hesitation using them, either.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 17-08-2011, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote

Having pulled and dried my garlic, I notice that it has grown so well
that some of the bulbs have split as the cloves have expanded. The
cloves have turned green on the outside, instead of the purlish colour
they should be.

Are they OK to eat and will they store? (I'm pretty sure they are, but
SWMBO wants reassurance!)

The bulbs split because you left them in the ground too long and they are
getting ready to regrow. We took ours up at the end of June this year.
I know of no reason to think they are no longer good to eat.
Soon be time to plant the garlic for next year, well a couple of months, so
if you are concerned use those cloves for that purpose.
For those that didn't get a proper head of garlic, it needs cold weather to
grow properly, did you plant it in spring?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

green garlic songbird[_2_] Edible Gardening 11 08-05-2016 01:38 AM
Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Garlic and Green Peas ~Sea~ Plant Biology 1 04-01-2006 02:58 PM
green green pond of home willsniffer United Kingdom 18 12-09-2003 05:03 PM
THE GREEN GREEN GRASS OF HOME ? Ian Sawers Lawns 0 02-04-2003 02:32 PM