Old 19-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Registered User

Default HELP!!! Strange white thing on my plants!

I have plants in my office and over time they seem to have generated this strange white what looks like fungus on the stems. Does anyone know how to get rid of it and what it is?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
HELP!!! Strange white thing on my plants!-img00020-20110819-0929.jpg
Old 19-08-2011, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

MichelleThomas1 wrote in
:

I have plants in my office and over time they seem to have generated
this strange white what looks like fungus on the stems. Does anyone
know how to get rid of it and what it is?

Thanks

|Filename: IMG00020-20110819-0929.jpg |
|Download:
|http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14399|

That is a cheap immitation of an Oak block floor.
I would advise you to employ a carpet fitter to cover the unsightly hideous
attempt.

Baz
Old 19-08-2011, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MichelleThomas1" wrote in
message ...

I have plants in my office and over time they seem to have generated
this strange white what looks like fungus on the stems. Does anyone know
how to get rid of it and what it is?

Thanks

|Filename: IMG00020-20110819-0929.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14399|

MichelleThomas1

Looks like Wooly aphids, or possibly mealy bugs, squash some if it goes
orange red its an insect pest problem not a fungus problem

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 20-08-2011, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/08/2011 13:53, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"MichelleThomas1" wrote in
message ...

I have plants in my office and over time they seem to have generated
this strange white what looks like fungus on the stems. Does anyone know
how to get rid of it and what it is?

Thanks

|Filename: IMG00020-20110819-0929.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14399|

Looks like Wooly aphids, or possibly mealy bugs, squash some if it goes
orange red its an insect pest problem not a fungus problem

Hard to tell from a distance but I agree it is one or the other.

Simplest quick fix is to treat all the affected stems using a soft brush
dipped in methylated spirits. This wrecks their wool and desiccates the
insects. It might also scar some plants (but probably not the one in the
picture). The sap sucking may already have caused some visible damage to
the plant.

But for a complete cure you will also have to take it outside and spray
with something like Provado which acts as both a knock down and systemic
insecticide. And to get a complete kill may take several goes.

It is still worthwhile killing as many as you can with meths before
applying the insecticide. You don't want them becoming resistant.

Regards,
Martin Brown