GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ferns in Hanging baskets- Hants- survive the winter? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/199392-ferns-hanging-baskets-hants-survive-winter.html)

miljee 19-08-2011 05:15 PM

Ferns in Hanging baskets- Hants- survive the winter?

I saw a great looking idea on GW a few weeks ago where a skilled older lady had put ferns (exotic- looking- Snake something?) in hanging baskets, under trees.

I am wondering if I were to do that now (mid Aug) my ferns would survive the winter outdoors. Not necessarily putting anything exotic in! I am in mid-Hampshire.

Complete amateur Q: they'd die right back over winter, wouldn't they?

TheBulbNursery 19-08-2011 05:32 PM

I believe they would die back but should recover the following spring as long as they avoid heavy frosts. You could maybe place them in the shed if we get another five foot of snow this winter! Hope that helps, Paul.

Quote:

Originally Posted by miljee (Post 933461)

Kay 19-08-2011 11:43 PM

Ferns in Hanging baskets- Hants- survive the winter?

On 19/08/2011 17:32, in article ,
"TheBulbNursery" wrote:

I believe they would die back but should recover the following spring as
long as they avoid heavy frosts. You could maybe place them in the shed
if we get another five foot of snow this winter! Hope that helps, Paul.

Depends which ferns you use. Some lose there fronds over winter, some keep
their fronds.

Main problem would be water - ferns generally like to be kept fairly moist.
There are a few which have adapted to occasional drying out (eg Rustyback),
but in general even those which live on trees only do so in the wetter parts
of the country.

No Name 20-08-2011 02:24 AM

TheBulbNursery wrote:
I believe they would die back but should recover the following spring as
long as they avoid heavy frosts. You could maybe place them in the shed
if we get another five foot of snow this winter! Hope that helps, Paul.

Speaking of snow, I heard the long-term forecast was for a heavy snow winter
again this year. Which probably means it'll be the mildest driest winter on
record ..