Old 19-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Registered User

Default Ferns in Hanging baskets- Hants- survive the winter?

I saw a great looking idea on GW a few weeks ago where a skilled older lady had put ferns (exotic- looking- Snake something?) in hanging baskets, under trees.

I am wondering if I were to do that now (mid Aug) my ferns would survive the winter outdoors. Not necessarily putting anything exotic in! I am in mid-Hampshire.

Complete amateur Q: they'd die right back over winter, wouldn't they?
Old 19-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Registered User

Location: Cornwall
Arrow

I believe they would die back but should recover the following spring as long as they avoid heavy frosts. You could maybe place them in the shed if we get another five foot of snow this winter! Hope that helps, Paul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miljee View Post

Old 20-08-2011, 02:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

TheBulbNursery wrote:
I believe they would die back but should recover the following spring as
long as they avoid heavy frosts. You could maybe place them in the shed
if we get another five foot of snow this winter! Hope that helps, Paul.

Speaking of snow, I heard the long-term forecast was for a heavy snow winter
again this year. Which probably means it'll be the mildest driest winter on
record ..