Old 20-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Registered User

Default Plant ID please, because we have disease!?

Hi, we are new to this forum and also of looking after plants. This plant that we need identifying was part of our floral arrangement at our wedding and so has received a lot of love, but now it needs our attention. Some of the leafs have recently shown a dark blotching, mostly around its perimeter. These leafs have subsequently started to wilt. So the help we require is in identifying this plant, and in the cause and cure of this wilting.

Many thanks, Scott and Cat.
Attached Thumbnails
Plant ID please, because we have disease!?-_mg_4384.jpg   Plant ID please, because we have disease!?-_mg_4386.jpg   Plant ID please, because we have disease!?-_mg_4388.jpg
Old 20-08-2011, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Aug 20, 11:07*am, Scott & Cat Scott.amp.Cat.
wrote:
Hi, we are new to this forum and also of looking after plants. This
plant that we need identifying was part of our floral arrangement at our
wedding and so has received a lot of love, but now it needs our
attention. Some of the leafs have recently shown a dark blotching,
mostly around its perimeter. These leafs have subsequently started to
wilt. So the help we require is in identifying this plant, and in the
cause and cure of this wilting.

Many thanks, Scott and Cat.

|Filename: _MG_4384.JPG * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14404|
|Filename: _MG_4386.JPG * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14405|
|Filename: _MG_4388.JPG * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14406|

Scott & Cat

It a form of Kalanchoe, pronounced colen-cowee,

see http://www.examiner.com/gardening-in...oing-and-going

So far as the typical problems are concerned, kalanchoes are most
likely to suffer from leaf spots in humid weather. If your area is
muggy, choose a spot where it can get cross ventilation. Allow enough
space between the plants for good air circulation, which will also
help prevent problems with leaf spot.

See http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art33595.asp

David Hill
Old 23-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
wrote:
[...]

see Kalanchoe: The bright-blooming succulent that keeps going and going.... - Philadelphia Gardening | Examiner.com

So far as the typical problems are concerned, kalanchoes are most
likely to suffer from leaf spots in humid weather. If your area is
muggy, choose a spot where it can get cross ventilation. Allow enough
space between the plants for good air circulation, which will also
help prevent problems with leaf spot.

See Tips on Growing and Caring for Kalanchoes - Cacti and Succulents

David Hill
Thank you Dave! This is really useful - our flat does suffer from problems with being to damp, so I can see why the plant is having a problem. We're going to move soon, though, so it will hopefully be resolved! I put it next to a window so it can get some air too.
It's really good to know the name of the plant, so we can care for it better. I think I have been giving it the wrong fertilizer which has made it grow too many leaves and not many flowers! These are the first plants we have owned, so I think we will be more careful next time to get the name when we are buying!

Thanks so much for the help

Cat & Scott