Old 21-08-2011, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potato scab

Is it me or is it a bad year for scab? Whilst our earlies and second earlies
had little damage our maincrop Victoria which are usually clean are badly
infected. Dry spring perhaps?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 21-08-2011, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
Is it me or is it a bad year for scab? Whilst our earlies and second earlies
had little damage our maincrop Victoria which are usually clean are badly
infected. Dry spring perhaps?

We've only just lifted our 2nds, and I agree, there does seem a lot of it.
ANnoyingly, Nick made me buy something for him that is meant to reduce scab,
but he never got round to doing it. (as with soooooo many things)
Old 22-08-2011, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Bob Hobden wrote:
Is it me or is it a bad year for scab? Whilst our earlies and second
earlies had little damage our maincrop Victoria which are usually
clean are badly infected. Dry spring perhaps?

We've only just lifted our 2nds, and I agree, there does seem a lot of
it. ANnoyingly, Nick made me buy something for him that is meant to
reduce scab, but he never got round to doing it. (as with soooooo
many things)

Scab here too, some on first earlies which we are still lifting. Everything
gets watered normally, but not often enough lately.
I have no second earlies as Pentland Javelin as first earlies seem to fill
that gap.
I have 2* 6m rows of maincrop Marris Piper and Cara, and seeing your post
had a looksee and they are riddled with scab. I only put them in as a last
minute decision because last year was the same and had a bit of space where
I tore out the brussels sprouts which had a bad infestation of whitefly.

Scab just looks bad though, doesn't it, no real harm. If you boil them they
go mushy quickly as well?

I can come around to living with it. Bloody well have to now! The Deed is
done.

Baz

Old 22-08-2011, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote ...

Vicky wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

There are more resistant varieties we might try next year..... (depends
which scab it is)
First Early....
Arran Pilot; Home Guard; Swift;
Second Early and Maincrop....
Admiral; Celine; Golden Wonder; Hermes; King Edward; Nicola; Russet Burbank;
Saturna;

That said we got our "Mayan Twilight" up today as they too had finished
growing and no sign of scab at all, not a "maincrop" spud though if you see
what I mean, a smaller tubered special that makes the most beautiful sauté
spuds and cooks in half the time.
Our Second early "Kestrel" were not too badly affected either.

Only got "Stemster" still to get up but that is still growing.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 22-08-2011, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote ...

Vicky wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Well, it looks like you have covered your bases and grown a very large
selection.

My first earlies were Arran Pilot which have only slight scab, but the
rest I have not grown.
A lot of people around here grow Golden Wonder as you have. I am going to
give them a go as they are the type I like(floury) and why not?

Baz

Old 22-08-2011, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote .

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
"Baz" wrote ...

Vicky wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

I think you miss-understood me.
This year we grew
Earlies... Printaline and Inova (both excellent, best earlies we have ever
grown)
Second Earlies... Kestrel (a little scab)
Maincrop... Victoria (usually excellent but bad scab this year), Stemster
and Mayan Twilight (no scab).

What I mentioned are the varieties that are scab resistant to some extent
that we may look at for next year instead of Victoria.

Old 23-08-2011, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
That said we got our "Mayan Twilight" up today as they too had finished
growing and no sign of scab at all, not a "maincrop" spud though if you see
what I mean, a smaller tubered special that makes the most beautiful saut?
spuds and cooks in half the time.

I lifted my Mayan Twilight on Friday and had them in the show on Saturday.
:-) They didn't half get some comments! Only came a disapponting 3rd,
though.