GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   turnips (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/199480-turnips.html)

Janet Tweedy 27-08-2011 02:42 AM

turnips

Had a packet of seeds, free from somewhere or other so sowed them on a
waste bit of soil in the veg. Beds. For the first time ever I have lots
of really lovely turnips , not too large a bit of flea beetle on leaf
but roots are lovely. Never thought of growing these but have used them
in salads and casserole and they really are nice!
Didn't pay much attention to them at all,
Wonders will never cease....
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Spider[_3_] 27-08-2011 03:44 PM

turnips

On 27/08/2011 02:42, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Had a packet of seeds, free from somewhere or other so sowed them on a
waste bit of soil in the veg. Beds. For the first time ever I have lots
of really lovely turnips , not too large a bit of flea beetle on leaf
but roots are lovely. Never thought of growing these but have used them
in salads and casserole and they really are nice!
Didn't pay much attention to them at all,
Wonders will never cease....

Do you remember which variety they were, Janet?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Janet Tweedy 27-08-2011 04:43 PM

turnips

In article , Spider
writes
Do you remember which variety they were, Janet?

Oh dear no spider, they are non woody and really lovely , I'll have
alook in my seed boxes in case I left the packet in there.

Spider[_3_] 27-08-2011 05:43 PM

turnips

On 27/08/2011 16:43, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Spider
writes
Do you remember which variety they were, Janet?

Oh dear no spider, they are non woody and really lovely , I'll have
alook in my seed boxes in case I left the packet in there.

Not to worry if you can't, but thanks for checking.

No Name 04-09-2011 02:30 AM

turnips

Janet Tweedy wrote:
Do you remember which variety they were, Janet?

Oh dear no spider, they are non woody and really lovely , I'll have
alook in my seed boxes in case I left the packet in there.

What colour are they? We did some 'snowball' one year which were
(obviously, perhaps!) white, but they were totally eaten by anything that
went near them, so we didn't get very much edible produce.

Janet Tweedy 05-09-2011 12:38 PM

turnips

In article ,
writes
Janet Tweedy wrote:
Do you remember which variety they were, Janet?

Oh dear no spider, they are non woody and really lovely , I'll have
alook in my seed boxes in case I left the packet in there.

What colour are they? We did some 'snowball' one year which were
(obviously, perhaps!) white, but they were totally eaten by anything that
went near them, so we didn't get very much edible produce.

They are very similar to Swede colouring, white/cream with a faint touch
of purple at top. They really have been wonderful this year, not a bit
woody and size of large beetroot, well that's when i am using them. Flea
bitten leaves though ...............