GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What is this beetle? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/199577-what-beetle.html)

Moonraker 02-09-2011 11:16 AM

What is this beetle?

I have been picking and freezing runner beans this morning. In so doing
I have come across several beetles(?) The are all green, making them
perfect camouflage amongst the beans, oval almost round about 1.2cm in
size. As my crop is good I assume they are benign. However I would like
to know what they are and if they are a possible problem. The only one I
can tell is that they are so well camouflaged that we may end up eating
them, added protein anyway. ;-)

[email protected] 02-09-2011 11:52 AM

What is this beetle?

In article ,
Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:
On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 11:16:46 +0100, Moonraker
wrote:

I have been picking and freezing runner beans this morning. In so doing
I have come across several beetles(?) The are all green, making them
perfect camouflage amongst the beans, oval almost round about 1.2cm in
size. As my crop is good I assume they are benign. However I would like
to know what they are and if they are a possible problem. The only one I
can tell is that they are so well camouflaged that we may end up eating
them, added protein anyway. ;-)

Might they be green shield bug nymphs? These are more rounded than the
adults. Have a look at:

http://www.gardensafari.net/en_picpa...a_prasina.htm#

The bottom two thumbnails show the little uns.

Almost certainly, and they taste disgusting. While they are sap
suckers, I have never seen them cause enough damage to be worth
worrying about. The RHS agrees.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=519

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jake 02-09-2011 12:18 PM

What is this beetle?

wrote:

I have been picking and freezing runner beans this morning. In so doing
I have come across several beetles(?) The are all green, making them
perfect camouflage amongst the beans, oval almost round about 1.2cm in
size. As my crop is good I assume they are benign. However I would like
to know what they are and if they are a possible problem. The only one I
can tell is that they are so well camouflaged that we may end up eating
them, added protein anyway. ;-)

Might they be green shield bug nymphs? These are more rounded than the
adults. Have a look at:

http://www.gardensafari.net/en_picpa...a_prasina.htm#

The bottom two thumbnails show the little uns.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Pete C[_3_] 02-09-2011 12:33 PM

What is this beetle?

"Moonraker" wrote in message
I have been picking and freezing runner beans this morning. In so doing I
have come across several beetles(?) The are all green, making them perfect
camouflage amongst the beans, oval almost round about 1.2cm in size. As my
crop is good I assume they are benign. However I would like to know what
they are and if they are a possible problem. The only one I can tell is
that they are so well camouflaged that we may end up eating them, added
protein anyway. ;-)

As has been said, stink bug. I had a lot last year, only a few now. They
don't do any harm....live and let live :)
Pete C

Moonraker 02-09-2011 01:51 PM

What is this beetle?

On 02/09/2011 12:33, Pete C wrote:
wrote in message
I have been picking and freezing runner beans this morning. In so doing I
have come across several beetles(?) The are all green, making them perfect
camouflage amongst the beans, oval almost round about 1.2cm in size. As my
crop is good I assume they are benign. However I would like to know what
they are and if they are a possible problem. The only one I can tell is
that they are so well camouflaged that we may end up eating them, added
protein anyway. ;-)

As has been said, stink bug. I had a lot last year, only a few now. They
don't do any harm....live and let live :)
Pete C

Thanks green shield stamps are go! I'd no intention of harming them,
only eating them by mistake!

Dave Hill 02-09-2011 04:31 PM

What is this beetle?

they taste disgusting. *

Thats because you tried to eat them before they were ripr
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...shield_bug.jpg