Old 02-09-2011, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What is this beetle?

I have been picking and freezing runner beans this morning. In so doing
I have come across several beetles(?) The are all green, making them
perfect camouflage amongst the beans, oval almost round about 1.2cm in
size. As my crop is good I assume they are benign. However I would like
to know what they are and if they are a possible problem. The only one I
can tell is that they are so well camouflaged that we may end up eating
them, added protein anyway. ;-)
Old 02-09-2011, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:
On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 11:16:46 +0100, Moonraker
wrote:

I have been picking and freezing runner beans this morning. In so doing
I have come across several beetles(?) The are all green, making them
perfect camouflage amongst the beans, oval almost round about 1.2cm in
size. As my crop is good I assume they are benign. However I would like
to know what they are and if they are a possible problem. The only one I
can tell is that they are so well camouflaged that we may end up eating
them, added protein anyway. ;-)

Might they be green shield bug nymphs? These are more rounded than the
adults. Have a look at:

http://www.gardensafari.net/en_picpa...a_prasina.htm#

The bottom two thumbnails show the little uns.

Almost certainly, and they taste disgusting. While they are sap
suckers, I have never seen them cause enough damage to be worth
worrying about. The RHS agrees.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=519

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I have been picking and freezing runner beans this morning. In so doing
I have come across several beetles(?) The are all green, making them
perfect camouflage amongst the beans, oval almost round about 1.2cm in
size. As my crop is good I assume they are benign. However I would like
to know what they are and if they are a possible problem. The only one I
can tell is that they are so well camouflaged that we may end up eating
them, added protein anyway. ;-)

Might they be green shield bug nymphs? These are more rounded than the
adults. Have a look at:

http://www.gardensafari.net/en_picpa...a_prasina.htm#

The bottom two thumbnails show the little uns.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 02-09-2011, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote in message
I have been picking and freezing runner beans this morning. In so doing I
have come across several beetles(?) The are all green, making them perfect
camouflage amongst the beans, oval almost round about 1.2cm in size. As my
crop is good I assume they are benign. However I would like to know what
they are and if they are a possible problem. The only one I can tell is
that they are so well camouflaged that we may end up eating them, added
protein anyway. ;-)

As has been said, stink bug. I had a lot last year, only a few now. They
don't do any harm....live and let live
Pete C

Old 02-09-2011, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/09/2011 12:33, Pete C wrote:
wrote in message
I have been picking and freezing runner beans this morning. In so doing I
have come across several beetles(?) The are all green, making them perfect
camouflage amongst the beans, oval almost round about 1.2cm in size. As my
crop is good I assume they are benign. However I would like to know what
they are and if they are a possible problem. The only one I can tell is
that they are so well camouflaged that we may end up eating them, added
protein anyway. ;-)

As has been said, stink bug. I had a lot last year, only a few now. They
don't do any harm....live and let live
Pete C

Thanks green shield stamps are go! I'd no intention of harming them,
only eating them by mistake!

Old 02-09-2011, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

they taste disgusting. *

Thats because you tried to eat them before they were ripr
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...shield_bug.jpg

Red Lily Beetle Trevor United Kingdom 3 05-06-2003 02:44 PM
Small insect/Beetle D_Mozina Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Lily beetle again Pam Moore United Kingdom 4 24-03-2003 09:32 PM
Interesting item on Tulip Trees and japanese beetle control... ncstockguy North Carolina 0 18-02-2003 02:01 AM
Small insect/Beetle D_Mozina Australia 0 06-02-2003 12:47 AM