Old 03-09-2011, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Apple tree info

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 13:46:49 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 12:36:20 GMT, Baz wrote:

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote in
m:

You will be needing a fork lift truck!

Steve

Eh?

Baz

Eh?

An apple tree growing in a large enough container will weigh a lot

Steve

Not really - I have some "single stem" types growing nicely in 30
litre pots. The pots have handles on the sides. Compost is JI3 with
some added grit but mainly vermiculite (which is lighter) to provide
added drainage. I have no problem shifting these 30 litre pots around
on my own. I also grow a lot of lilies in these pots. In flowering
season, the pots are carried to where I want them and then after
flowering carried back to what I call my holding area. Shifting 6 of
these about 60 feet takes about half an hour (with a lager break in
between!). Just remember to shift BEFORE watering

Someone else has mentioned the watering overhead. Again, not a
problem. I water slowly until water runs from the drainage holes
(around the side of the right sort of pot about half an inch up from
the base). Then they don't need watering for a couple of days in the
hottest weather (as if !), twice a week if its cooler.

Probably heavy enough to deter a thief taking from an allotment but no
problem shifting around within the garden.

One point to remember, though, is that if you're growing a more
spreading type of tree, it'll only last in the pot for about 5 years
(which means about 2 fruiting years) and then has to go in the ground.
The right dwarf single stem type won't grow more than 2 metres and
will survive in the pot for many years if fed well.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Old 05-09-2011, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 15:28:02 +0100, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:

Compost is JI3 with
some added grit but mainly vermiculite (which is lighter) to provide
added drainage.

Ye gads! Ooooh 'eck! I said "vermiculite" when I meant "perlite".
Sorry.