Old 03-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Registered User

Default Poplar - shaping?

We like the way that poplar leaves flash silver in the wind. There is a specimen in a nearby garden which has multiple stems - we like that look instead of the tall straight trunk. When would you cut the tree to produce that look? There is plenty of space for the tree to grow sideways and upwards.

Thanks

Laura
Old 03-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Corin View Post
We like the way that poplar leaves flash silver in the wind. There is a specimen in a nearby garden which has multiple stems - we like that look instead of the tall straight trunk. When would you cut the tree to produce that look? There is plenty of space for the tree to grow sideways and upwards.

Thanks

Laura
Hi Laura, I assume your talking about Populus alba but in any case, I'd cut it back in early spring. If you want it very bushy, then prune again the first week in August. If you want another, come down to Hayle car boot, I sell them for £4
hahaha, Lannerman.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Laura Corin

Poplar is sometimes used as a coppice tree so no problems.
http://www.mybuilder.com/ask-a-trade...g-poplar-trees
Old 04-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi Laura, I assume your talking about Populus alba but in any case, I'd cut it back in early spring. If you want it very bushy, then prune again the first week in August. If you want another, come down to Hayle car boot, I sell them for £4
hahaha, Lannerman.
Thanks - if I just want a few strong stems then would cutting it back once and then letting it go be the right thing?

Thanks

Laura
Old 04-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Corin View Post
Thanks - if I just want a few strong stems then would cutting it back once and then letting it go be the right thing?

Thanks

Laura
Yes and the harder you cut it back, the more vigorous will the subsequent growth be but do this as the sap starts rising in about March.
Lannerman.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Registered User

Thanks, Janet. We'd be happy for it to grow densely and sucker in that area - it would help to screen us from the fairly busy road which runs down that side of the property. The tree will be about five yards within our property, with a large field next door.

Laura