Old 19-09-2011, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default college courses for young

Can anyone recommend suitable courses for a 21year old who at present
works with a landscape firm but isn't exactly being 'trained' so would
like to get some suitable qualifications .

He lives in Maidenhead but has a car so could travel to courses.
Any advice? Mainly he needs to learn the whole lot

Old 19-09-2011, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote in news:OiLlEdB
:

Can anyone recommend suitable courses for a 21year old who at present
works with a landscape firm but isn't exactly being 'trained' so would
like to get some suitable qualifications .

He lives in Maidenhead but has a car so could travel to courses.
Any advice? Mainly he needs to learn the whole lot

Try this link below please, I don't know if it is exactly what you are
looking for.

http://tinyurl.com/6y8ugyt

Good luck
Baz
Old 19-09-2011, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote
Can anyone recommend suitable courses for a 21year old who at present
works with a landscape firm but isn't exactly being 'trained' so would
like to get some suitable qualifications .

He lives in Maidenhead but has a car so could travel to courses.
Any advice? Mainly he needs to learn the whole lot

I've heard good reports of this place...
http://www.capel.ac.uk/horticulture/
But it's nearer London so might be too far.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.
Old 19-09-2011, 11:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Baz
writes
Try this link below please, I don't know if it is exactly what you are
looking for.

http://tinyurl.com/6y8ugyt

Good luck
Baz

Thanks baz I'll pass it on
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 19-09-2011, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
I've heard good reports of this place...
http://www.capel.ac.uk/horticulture/
But it's nearer London so might be too far.

Yes but on other side of M25 so not really suitable for part time course
really Bob fro Maidenhead.

Think he will need to work and also get some sort of qualifications.
Sometimes there are also short courses and i thought I had heard of a
college near Guildford with short horticultural courses and even longer
ones at night

Old 20-09-2011, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Sep 19, 11:24*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Janet Tweedy" *wrote

Can anyone recommend suitable courses for a 21year old who at present
works with a landscape firm but isn't exactly being 'trained' so would
like to get some suitable qualifications .

He lives in Maidenhead but has a car so could travel to courses.
Any advice? Mainly he needs to learn the whole lot

I've heard good reports of this place...http://www.capel.ac.uk/horticulture/
But it's nearer London so might be too far.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

I think this site will give you what you want Janet, you should find
the answer here.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/htbg/...ardening.shtml
David
Old 20-09-2011, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Sep 19, 11:52*pm, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Bob Hobden
writes

I've heard good reports of this place...
http://www.capel.ac.uk/horticulture/
But it's nearer London so might be too far.

Yes but on other side of M25 so not really suitable for part time course
really Bob fro Maidenhead.

Think he will need to work and also get some sort of qualifications.
Sometimes there are also short courses and i thought I had heard of a
college near Guildford with short horticultural courses and even longer
ones at night
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Did you look at the site I posted for you Janet?
Old 20-09-2011, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Dave Hill writes
Did you look at the site I posted for you Janet?

Yes think that was Reading? However they concentrate on agriculture and
i think he wanted to use his contacts to start a small maintenance
gardening company of his own rather than do all the work for someone
else. He does the grass etc. but he was told he would be taught on the
job but he's not receiving any tutoring about horticulture at all seems
to be just a grass cutter!
Old 20-09-2011, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Dave Hill writes
I think this site will give you what you want Janet, you should find
the answer here.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/htbg/...ardening.shtml
David

Thanks David I'll pass it on.
Old 20-09-2011, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I feel faint ! Just looked at a course for myself, inspired by looking
for someone else and thinking I might get a chainsaw but get a course
first to learn how to handle it.
Looked at Merrist Wood in Guildford
£640!!

Think I'll just use the loppers and saw, that'll be dearer than the
blinking tools!