Old 12-11-2011, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default On-line supplier sought

The gardener in this house, (not me), is trying to get hold of ribes
(rubus?) benenden. Having failed with all her usual local suppliers, she is
now casting her net wider. Does anyone know of a possible source within 15
miles or so of Coventry, or a possible on-line source?
--
Lyndon

Old 12-11-2011, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"The Welsh Windbag" wrote in message
The gardener in this house, (not me), is trying to get hold of ribes
(rubus?) benenden. Having failed with all her usual local suppliers, she
is now casting her net wider. Does anyone know of a possible source within
15 miles or so of Coventry, or a possible on-line source?
--
Lyndon

How about

http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/plan...GA1&pl_id=3812

Doesn't matter where they are if you trust mail order.

Mike

Old 12-11-2011, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The Welsh Windbag wrote:

The gardener in this house, (not me), is trying to get hold of ribes
(rubus?) benenden. Having failed with all her usual local suppliers, she is
now casting her net wider. Does anyone know of a possible source within 15
miles or so of Coventry, or a possible on-line source?

Closest supplier listed in the RHS plant finder is...

Ravensthorpe Nursery

6 East Haddon Road
Ravensthorpe
Northamptonshire
NN6 8ES
United Kingdom

Depending on which side of Coventry you're on that's 25-ish miles. The
plant finder says they do mail order.

Ring them on 01604 770548 to see if they have it in stock. They're a
pretty big nursery.

Warwick
Old 12-11-2011, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Warwick" wrote in message
Closest supplier listed in the RHS plant finder is...

Ravensthorpe Nursery

Many thanks. Info passed on to Head Gardner.
--
Lyndon

Old 12-11-2011, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"The Welsh Windbag" wrote in message
The gardener in this house, (not me), is trying to get hold of ribes
(rubus?) benenden. Having failed with all her usual local suppliers, she
is now casting her net wider. Does anyone know of a possible source within
15 miles or so of Coventry, or a possible on-line source?

"'Mike'" wrote

How about
http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/plan...GA1&pl_id=3812
Doesn't matter where they are if you trust mail order.

Thanks Mike. Between you and 'Warwick' looks like problem solved.

--
Lyndon

Old 12-11-2011, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"The Welsh Windbag" wrote in message

"The Welsh Windbag" wrote in message
The gardener in this house, (not me), is trying to get hold of ribes
(rubus?) benenden. Having failed with all her usual local suppliers, she
is now casting her net wider. Does anyone know of a possible source
within 15 miles or so of Coventry, or a possible on-line source?

"'Mike'" wrote

How about
http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/plan...GA1&pl_id=3812
Doesn't matter where they are if you trust mail order.

Thanks Mike. Between you and 'Warwick' looks like problem solved.

--
Lyndon

Like you Lynton, I am the labourer and the purveyor of messages and
information ;-)

Mike

Old 12-11-2011, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

The gardener in this house, (not me), is trying to get hold of ribes
(rubus?) benenden. Having failed with all her usual local suppliers, she
is now casting her net wider. Does anyone know of a possible source
within 15 miles or so of Coventry, or a possible on-line source?

I'm supprised that no one has given you the correct name for the plant
you are looking for.
Its Rubus (tridel) Benenden
http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/plant/rubus-benenden
I've grown it for years, will get rather stragly if left alone, but
well worth growing.
David
Old 12-11-2011, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The Welsh Windbag wrote
The gardener in this house, (not me), is trying to get hold of ribes
(rubus?) benenden. Having failed with all her usual local suppliers,
she
is now casting her net wider. Does anyone know of a possible source
within 15 miles or so of Coventry, or a possible on-line source?

"Dave Hill" responded
I'm supprised that no one has given you the correct name for the plant
you are looking for.
Its Rubus (tridel) Benenden
http://www.shootgardening.co.uk/plant/rubus-benenden
I've grown it for years, will get rather stragly if left alone, but
well worth growing.

I like the bit where it says it needs 1 hour work/year. That would be close
to my ideal plant. Well perhaps one that requires an hour or two less
attention a year?

My briefing document did mention a middle word starting with 't', but you
are talking to someone who barely knows the difference between clematis and
chlamydia here. Good to know it is worth growing though. Thanks.

--
Lyndon

Old 15-11-2011, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Warwick
writes
Closest supplier listed in the RHS plant finder is...

Ravensthorpe Nursery

That's a fabulous nursery to visit if you are going anywhere near there
such as Coton manor or Cottesbrooke.

It has about 12 different Philadelphus for a start and a garden full of
really unusual plants
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph