Old 09-12-2011, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Parsnip

Just dug up the first parsnip of the year. Unfortunately there is a
large orange rotten looking mess on it. Never had this before, will the
rest of it still be edible?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 09-12-2011, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roger Tonkin wrote in
:

Just dug up the first parsnip of the year. Unfortunately there is a
large orange rotten looking mess on it. Never had this before, will the
rest of it still be edible?

That sounds horrible.
Have you tried a different row to dig to see if the rest of your parsnip
has this?

Another thing, and I know you might think I am taking the mickey, but could
they be carrots, or even a strain of parsnip with that colour?

Stranger things have happened.

Best wishes
Baz
Old 09-12-2011, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote

Just dug up the first parsnip of the year. Unfortunately there is a
large orange rotten looking mess on it. Never had this before, will the
rest of it still be edible?

Sound like Canker, as our soil is quite heavy we get it on most of our
Parsnips every year and normally it's around the top of the root only. It's
caused by a fungus and there is not much you can do about it although there
are supposed to be varieties with some resistance. Just cut the discoloured
bit off until you get to proper parsnip underneath, the rest of the root
will be fine. Taste is not affected. You get used to it.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote

BobHsays...

"Roger Tonkin" wrote

Just dug up the first parsnip of the year. Unfortunately there is a
large orange rotten looking mess on it. Never had this before, will the
rest of it still be edible?

Sound like Canker, as our soil is quite heavy we get it on most of our
Parsnips every year and normally it's around the top of the root only.
It's
caused by a fungus and there is not much you can do about it although
there
are supposed to be varieties with some resistance. Just cut the
discoloured
bit off until you get to proper parsnip underneath, the rest of the root
will be fine. Taste is not affected. You get used to it.

Thanks Bob, that is exactly what we did. Bit dissapointed in the taste
though, not as strong as I like. May be it needs some more heavy frost -
I dug it on Friday, before the heavy frost!

I don't like strong Parsnips, much too perfumed to me. I actually ate my
first roast Parsnip on Sunday because it wasn't strong, can't say I enjoyed
it but I did actually eat it, not something I've managed before. It's fine
in a stew though.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.