Old 16-12-2011, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomatos

I've just picked the last of the outdoor Jersey Sunrise tomatoes. They
are only half-ripe but after last night's storm-force winds I thought
they might be better inside? Have I picked them too soon, do you think?

Hoping for better weather next week to sow broad beans, Jersey Royals and
garlic.

--
gardening on the beach in Jersey
Old 16-12-2011, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote

I've just picked the last of the outdoor Jersey Sunrise tomatoes. They
are only half-ripe but after last night's storm-force winds I thought
they might be better inside? Have I picked them too soon, do you think?

Hoping for better weather next week to sow broad beans, Jersey Royals and
garlic.

Garlic? Had ours in for a couple of months at least.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 16-12-2011, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 21:37:51 +0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

Hoping for better weather next week to sow broad beans, Jersey Royals
and garlic.

Garlic? Had ours in for a couple of months at least.

Plant on the shortest day, harvest on the longest. It's written in the
law of the Medes and the Persians.

--
gardening on the beach in Jersey
Old 16-12-2011, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
Hoping for better weather next week to sow broad beans, Jersey Royals and
garlic.

Garlic? Had ours in for a couple of months at least.

I didn't plant any, but I seem to have a whole row where I apparently didn't
pick it all properly in the summer!

Old 17-12-2011, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

Hoping for better weather next week to sow broad beans, Jersey Royals
and garlic.

Garlic? Had ours in for a couple of months at least.

Plant on the shortest day, harvest on the longest. It's written in the
law of the Medes and the Persians.

But we don't live in Persia.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 17-12-2011, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vicky wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
Hoping for better weather next week to sow broad beans, Jersey Royals and
garlic.

Garlic? Had ours in for a couple of months at least.

I didn't plant any, but I seem to have a whole row where I apparently
didn't
pick it all properly in the summer!

You must have left it in the ground too long so the heads split into the
individual cloves otherwise you would have dug up whole heads in one leaving
nothing behind.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 17-12-2011, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

You must have left it in the ground too long so the heads split into the
individual cloves otherwise you would have dug up whole heads in one leaving
nothing behind

I always have a few bits left behind to show up the next spring, despite
harvesting in time (early August here in the northeastern American
colonies). Snowing lightly as I type, with winter knocking at the door.

Old 17-12-2011, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
I didn't plant any, but I seem to have a whole row where I apparently
didn't
pick it all properly in the summer!

You must have left it in the ground too long so the heads split into the
individual cloves otherwise you would have dug up whole heads in one leaving
nothing behind.

I think there are actually some whole heads left in. :-}
Old 17-12-2011, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vicky wrote
Bob Hobden
wrote:
I didn't plant any, but I seem to have a whole row where I apparently
didn't
pick it all properly in the summer!

You must have left it in the ground too long so the heads split into the
individual cloves otherwise you would have dug up whole heads in one
leaving
nothing behind.

I think there are actually some whole heads left in. :-}

If they are coming up in a clump dig them up carefully and plant separately.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.