Old 14-01-2012, 03:40 PM posted to alt.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening

Default Bergamot

When the herb bergamot is referred to, is it Monarda didyma or Monarda
fistulosa? Is either easily grown in SE England?
Old 14-01-2012, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Frederick Williams" wrote in message
When the herb bergamot is referred to, is it Monarda didyma or Monarda
fistulosa? Is either easily grown in SE England?

The former I think, our climate is generally too soft for them and they tend
to die out without constant propagating, but if you are prepared to do up
fresh young plants each year to renew the clumps they do look good and
flower for a long time, here in the wetter SW I find life expectancy further
reduced by slugs and snails and I have now given up trying to grow them.

My advice would be before buying named cultivars for several pounds per
plant, buy seed grow the plants for a season or two and find out whether
they are going to like your garden, they are easy and quick from seed
normally flowering in the first season from early sowings.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs