GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help - choosing a tree for my back garden (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/202412-help-choosing-tree-my-back-garden.html)

AL_n 25-02-2012 03:52 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

I wonder if anyone could help me decide on which tree to get for my back
garden. I need something to provide a bit of shade, and give some sense of
shelter, as it's a rather exposed coastal site. The soil is very alkaline
and below the shallow topsoil, is stony clay. The site gets fairly windy,
especially in winter. There is lots of sunshine in Summer. It's in the
South West of England with typically only a few nights of frost each year.

I want a tree that will only grow to about 12ft high absolute maximum, so
that it won't obscure the views from the upstairs window. Ideally the
braches will spread outwards for around 8 feet from the trunk, providing a
canopy of dappled shade on a summer's day, that can be walked under without
much obstruction from the branches.

I'd like something that is interesting and attractive, all year round. I
don't want anything too common, such as an apple, pear or cherry, unless
they are the only sensible option. It doesn't have to be a fruit tree.

I'll be planting it about 10ft from the rear of my house, in front of some
French windows that face East. The tree will get full sun for several hours
each sunny day.

I have wondered about a palm, because of the exotic feel they create, but
they seem to be expensive and slow-growing.

Something that develops a twisted, interesting-looking trunk would be
preferable to something with a boringly straight, smooth trunk.

I'd be looking to buying a sapling that is already about 8ft to 10ft tall -
one which would grow outwards, mostly and not gain too much additional
height.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thank you,

Al

harry 25-02-2012 04:44 PM

On Feb 25, 3:52*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you need a bus shelter. :-)

[email protected] 25-02-2012 05:28 PM

On 2012-02-25 15:52:51 +0000, "AL_n" said:

I wonder if anyone could help me decide on which tree to get for my back
garden. I need something to provide a bit of shade, and give some sense of
shelter, as it's a rather exposed coastal site. The soil is very alkaline
and below the shallow topsoil, is stony clay. The site gets fairly windy,
especially in winter. There is lots of sunshine in Summer. It's in the
South West of England with typically only a few nights of frost each year.

I want a tree that will only grow to about 12ft high absolute maximum, so
that it won't obscure the views from the upstairs window. Ideally the
braches will spread outwards for around 8 feet from the trunk, providing a
canopy of dappled shade on a summer's day, that can be walked under without
much obstruction from the branches.

Then what you're asking for is a tree that doesn't branch until it get
to just over 6' tall and then stops growing at 12'. So it will only
have branches in its upper 6'. Right now I can't think of anything
quite so obliging.

There is always a Tyburn tree, which has those properties and doesn't
grow much after planting, but its fruits are most unattractive.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Dave Hill 25-02-2012 05:31 PM

On Feb 25, 4:44*pm, harry wrote:
On Feb 25, 3:52*pm, "AL_n" wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you need a bus shelter. * :-)- Hide quoted text -

Sounds as if you need a comercial size Parasol

Jake 25-02-2012 06:12 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 08:44:52 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Feb 25, 3:52*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
[...]

Or an extremely large patio umbrella!

Something with a tree canopy that's at least 6' above ground, no more
than 6' above that but 16' in diameter is going to look like an alien
mutation. A side effect of that is that if the tree is 16' in diameter
then the root stretch will match it. A oft forgotten thing about trees
is that they don't have any inbuilt programmer that says "stop" when
they reach a certain size. That little 2' gap between the tree and
your house won't be 2' for very long.

I'd suggest you go back to the drawing board and rethink your
specifications a bit.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

AL_n 25-02-2012 08:01 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

Sacha wrote in :

A 'small tree is 15' - 26' tall so I think 12' is going to be hard to
attain. Have you looked at Eucalyptus which can be kept at the height
you want? Some of the flowering cherries would be beautiful, like
Prunus Shogetsu but that goes to around 16'

I started off considering a fruit tree - the kind that has been grafted to
dwarf rootstock to limit its height. I may end up going that route. I have
seen cherries with the sort of shape that would suit. I guess I can cut the
lower branches off to achieve a suitable shape if necessary.

On second thoughts, consider a tree fern, Dicksonia antarctica.

That's an interesting idea - thanks. I've never paid attention to these.
They remind me of something from the Mesozoic Era! That would be different,
certainly. Possibly a tad too different, but yes, certainly worth
considering.

Al

Dave Hill 25-02-2012 08:59 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

On second thoughts, consider a tree fern, Dicksonia antarctica.

That's an interesting idea - thanks. I've never paid attention to these.
They remind me of something from the Mesozoic Era! That would be different,
certainly. Possibly a tad too different, but yes, certainly worth
considering.

Al

Won't give you the spread you want.

AL_n 25-02-2012 09:03 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

"AL_n" wrote in
:

Sacha wrote in
:

A 'small tree is 15' - 26' tall so I think 12' is going to be hard
to attain. Have you looked at Eucalyptus which can be kept at the
height you want?

This was exactly what I nearly opted for last year. I like eucalyptus trees
for the evergreen foliage. I wasn't aware that it could be kept at a
suitable height.

Al

kay 25-02-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake (Post 951978)

Something with a tree canopy that's at least 6' above ground, no more
than 6' above that but 16' in diameter is going to look like an alien
mutation.

I've got a cherry tree that matches that. Except that the 16ft is mainly to one side of the trunk. And it would look like an alien mutation if it were free standing. (Fortunately, it's growing over the roof of the terrace).

I wonder whether you could do something with something that's slightly weeping. I have a weeping crab apple which is on the right lines. I managed to keep it going upwards by taking out the lowest branches each year, but it's now stopped at about 5ft and is producing only horizontals. Overall effect is indeed of a patio umbrella ;-)

But there might be something that would grow a few feet taller before just producing horizontal branches.

AL_n 26-02-2012 06:53 AM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

kay wrote in news:kay.9bf50f6
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

I wonder whether you could do something with something that's slightly
weeping. I have a weeping crab apple which is on the right lines. I
managed to keep it going upwards by taking out the lowest branches each
year, but it's now stopped at about 5ft and is producing only
horizontals. Overall effect is indeed of a patio umbrella ;-)

But there might be something that would grow a few feet taller before
just producing horizontal branches.

Thanks... Yes - I have been investigating the weeping trees such as crab
apple, cherry, peach, willow and others, with a special attention to
'slightly weeping' types. I read that the weeping types are more likely to
keep within height limitations. "Semi-weeping" sounds ideal.

Al

harry 26-02-2012 08:18 AM

On Feb 26, 6:53*am, "AL_n" wrote:
kay wrote in news:kay.9bf50f6
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

I wonder whether you could do something with something that's slightly
weeping. I have a weeping crab apple which is on the right lines. I
managed to keep it going upwards by taking out the lowest branches each
year, but it's now stopped at about 5ft and is producing only
horizontals. Overall effect is indeed of a patio umbrella ;-)

But there might be something that would grow a few feet taller before
just producing horizontal branches.

Thanks... Yes - I have been investigating the weeping trees such as crab
apple, cherry, peach, willow and others, with a special attention to
'slightly weeping' types. I read that the weeping types are more likely to
keep within height limitations. "Semi-weeping" sounds ideal.

Al

I don't think any of these suggestions will grow in an exposed coastal
area with shallow soil.

David WE Roberts[_4_] 26-02-2012 09:27 AM

"AL_n" wrote in message
[...]

As Sacha has suggested it is unlikely you will find a tree which will
magically meet all you requirements - including a 10' sapling which will not
grow above 12'.
If 12' is the maximum natural height then a 10' specimen will be a mature
tree at almost full height.

If you want to plant a 12' tree 10' from your house this is possibly not
advisable because the roots are likely to grow as broadly as the height of
the tree.
That close, a container grown tree might be more sensible.

To achieve your ideal you will probably have to prune a tree to limit the
height, and remove lower branches to give a canopy effect.

You might consider a container grown tree in a very large pot.
This allows you to manage the height and the root spread.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Bob Hobden 26-02-2012 09:31 AM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

"AL_n" wrote ...

[...]

A friend in France has a tree that is mostly as you request and it's called
Albizia julibrissin**, the Silk Tree, although it loves sun and can take any
low temperature you might get it does hate winter wet which may well be a
problem in the SW where the grass is always green. You may also have a
problem in the UK getting one already pruned and trained to the shape you
want, most I've seen for sale are the red leaved ones and very small.
** I think it's var.rosea which has better coloured flowers.
Eventually if it survives it will get a bit bigger than you want but they
keep their's under control easily.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHwwwJ83oWo

Jeff Layman[_2_] 26-02-2012 10:08 AM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

On 25/02/2012 18:21, Sacha wrote:

On second thoughts, consider a tree fern, Dicksonia antarctica. You
can buy it at the height you want and as they grow so very slowly,
you'll probably be happy. It won't be cheap at that height though.
Stuff the crown with dead leaves or bracken or straw (NOT plastic or
bubble wrap) in winter to protect from frost. And in dry and hot
spells, water at least once a day from the crown. We have several in
the garden here in varying locations but two are in a very sunny spot.
They also came through last winter after a slow start and have still
got their fronds now, albeit somewhat battered looking.

The OP said exposed coastal site and windy. AFAIAA the natural habitat
of tree ferns is forest areas well protected from winds. I would also
doubt that their leaves are salt-resistant, although the leaves of some
ferns are pretty leathery. Do tree ferns grow near the coast down your way?

--

Jeff

Jeff Layman[_2_] 26-02-2012 10:17 AM

On 25/02/2012 15:52, AL_n wrote:
[...]

One alternative is to create a framework for climbers, rather than have
one tree. A single, sturdy, pole with a crossbeam top would allow you
to set the height and spread. One or more evergreen or deciduous
climbers could provide shade and flower at different times of the year.
You could even choose a fruiting climber if you wanted - if your soil
is as poor and chalky as you say, a grapevine wouldn't go amiss.

--

Jeff

Dave Hill 26-02-2012 02:42 PM

On Feb 26, 10:17*am, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 25/02/2012 15:52, AL_n wrote:

[...]

Jeff- Hide quoted text -

Why not go the whole Hog and build a pergola, then a few vines on it
would do the job.

AL_n 26-02-2012 05:45 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

"David WE Roberts" wrote in
:

If you want to plant a 12' tree 10' from your house this is possibly
not advisable because the roots are likely to grow as broadly as the
height of the tree.
That close, a container grown tree might be more sensible.

To achieve your ideal you will probably have to prune a tree to limit
the height, and remove lower branches to give a canopy effect.

You might consider a container grown tree in a very large pot.
This allows you to manage the height and the root spread.

Thanks.. I've decided I can plant the tree an extra yard from the house,
and it can grow about 15ft tall if it's a flattish-topped tree (as oppsed
to a fanning-out tree such as you average tree.

The container idea is something I hadn't considered. It would have to be an
exceptionally large container, due to the windy conditions here (several
gales each winter are typical).

Al

AL_n 26-02-2012 05:58 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

"Bob Hobden" wrote in news:9quceoFqonU1
@mid.individual.net:

Albizia julibrissin*

This tree is exactly the kind of shape I'm looking for. Thank you for that
excellent suggestion. I like the idea also, because it would be something
different, yet would still look natural within the setting. I will
definitely investigate further.

A vaguely similar-shaped tree that I'm very interested in is prosopis
chilensis (Chilean mesquite), as found growing wild in Southern California
etc. I still haven't quite determined if it will grow easily over here - or
if it's even available in this country.

Al

AL_n 26-02-2012 06:03 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

Jeff Layman wrote in news:jid0rh$302$1
@news.albasani.net:

One alternative is to create a framework for climbers, rather than have
one tree. A single, sturdy, pole with a crossbeam top would allow you
to set the height and spread. One or more evergreen or deciduous
climbers could provide shade and flower at different times of the year.
You could even choose a fruiting climber if you wanted - if your soil
is as poor and chalky as you say, a grapevine wouldn't go amiss.

Thank you for the suggestion; I have to admit I hadn't thought of that. It
is definitely worth considering. Yes, my father grew grape vines locally in
the same type of soil.

Al

AL_n 26-02-2012 06:09 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

Dave Hill wrote in news:08c52ef1-4f02-49b8-
:

Why not go the whole Hog and build a pergola, then a few vines on it
would do the job.

A pergola is what I was thinking too. The only problem is the cost. The
lumber would cost several hundred frogskins, methinks.

Al.

AL_n 26-02-2012 09:14 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

Sacha wrote in :

If something isn't available there's usually a good reason for that!

True. Anyway, I have just ordered some seeds from Arizona. I'll see how it
gets on in a container, initially. The edible beans sound useful.

Al

AL_n 27-02-2012 08:03 AM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

"AL_n" wrote in
:

Sacha wrote in
:

If something isn't available there's usually a good reason for that!

True. Anyway, I have just ordered some seeds from Arizona. I'll see
how it gets on in a container, initially. The edible beans sound
useful.

PS... Even if they grow in our climate, I don't really think it's the
answer to my needs, due to the size they grow. I'm mainly trying the seeds
out of curiosity. If I can get the seeds to germinate, I may grow one in a
container until it becomes too big to handle.

AL_n 27-02-2012 03:10 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

Jake wrote in
:

I'd suggest you go back to the drawing board and rethink your
specifications a bit.

You may be right. My "plan B" rethink would be to use an even smaller
(dwarf) tree, planted even closer to the house. This would provide the
dappled shade I need for anyone sitting out on the East-facing staging,
immediately in front of the east side of the house. In this case, the tree
should reach a maximum height of 10 feet or so, with a "diameter" (I use
the word loosely), of about 5ft. The foliage should not be too dense, as I
only want dappled shade and still be able to see through it. Evergreen or
deciduous would be fine. If it produces something edible, that's a bonus.
Primarily, it needs to look attractive, and not too common-looking. A
twisty trunk as opposed to a straight one would be good.

Al

Martin Brown 27-02-2012 03:25 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

On 27/02/2012 15:10, AL_n wrote:
wrote in
:

I'd suggest you go back to the drawing board and rethink your
specifications a bit.

You may be right. My "plan B" rethink would be to use an even smaller
(dwarf) tree, planted even closer to the house. This would provide the
dappled shade I need for anyone sitting out on the East-facing staging,
immediately in front of the east side of the house. In this case, the tree
should reach a maximum height of 10 feet or so, with a "diameter" (I use
the word loosely), of about 5ft. The foliage should not be too dense, as I
only want dappled shade and still be able to see through it. Evergreen or
deciduous would be fine. If it produces something edible, that's a bonus.
Primarily, it needs to look attractive, and not too common-looking. A
twisty trunk as opposed to a straight one would be good.

How about ginko or mulberry then. They both grow *much* larger
eventually but you could keep them down to size as wanted.

Get a male ginko unless you like the nuts (fruit smell awful).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

AL_n 27-02-2012 03:51 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

Martin Brown wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks for the suggestions. Nice trees, but looking at the photos, they
appear to have too much spread for my new 'plan B' idea. I'd prefer not to
have to impose my desired shape onto a tree that isn't going there
naturally. I guess this limits me to a naturally dwarf tree of some kind.
As I would be planting so close to the house, I don't like the idea of a
massive root system underground, which might be the case with a non-dwarf
tree that's being lopped to size above ground..

Al

AL_n 27-02-2012 04:01 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

"AL_n" wrote in
:

Thanks for the suggestions. Nice trees, but looking at the photos,
they appear to have too much spread for my new 'plan B' idea. I'd
prefer not to have to impose my desired shape onto a tree that isn't
going there naturally. I guess this limits me to a naturally dwarf
tree of some kind. As I would be planting so close to the house, I
don't like the idea of a massive root system underground, which might
be the case with a non-dwarf tree that's being lopped to size above
ground..

PS... something along the lines of this Hosur (or Hosui) Dwarf Pear tree
might suit, going by the photo:

http://tinyurl.com/8xjf798

Al

AL_n 27-02-2012 04:09 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

"AL_n" wrote in news:XnsA006A21554F46zzzzzz@
130.133.4.11:

PS... something along the lines of this Hosur (or Hosui) Dwarf Pear tree
might suit, going by the photo:

http://tinyurl.com/8xjf798

Al

PPS... If all else fails, I might try a large clump of bamboos, along the
lines of these:

http://tinyurl.com/6q6bog9

Al

Jake 27-02-2012 05:11 PM

On 27 Feb 2012 16:09:16 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

"AL_n" wrote in news:XnsA006A21554F46zzzzzz@
130.133.4.11:

PS... something along the lines of this Hosur (or Hosui) Dwarf Pear tree
might suit, going by the photo:

http://tinyurl.com/8xjf798

Al

PPS... If all else fails, I might try a large clump of bamboos, along the
lines of these:

http://tinyurl.com/6q6bog9

Al

Be careful. Many bamboos are notoriously invasive and you may end up
fighting an annual (if not more frequent) battle to keep them in
check.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

Janet 27-02-2012 06:26 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

In article ,
says...

I wonder if anyone could help me decide on which tree to get for my back
garden. I need something to provide a bit of shade, and give some sense of
shelter, as it's a rather exposed coastal site. The soil is very alkaline
and below the shallow topsoil, is stony clay. The site gets fairly windy,
especially in winter. There is lots of sunshine in Summer. It's in the
South West of England with typically only a few nights of frost each

year.

Plain old hawthorn can make a very beautiful and reliable tree,
interesting all year round ands submits to any amount or pruning and
shaping. If you want to push the boat out get one of the fancier species
with bigger berries, like Crataegus orientalis.

Janet

AL_n 27-02-2012 06:27 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

Jake wrote in
:

Be careful. Many bamboos are notoriously invasive and you may end up
fighting an annual (if not more frequent) battle to keep them in
check.

So probably the clumping variety grown in a b-i-g container then. The
difficult bit seems to be finding one that grows about the right height (10
ft approx) and doesn't mind full sun for most of the day in Summer. My
preferred shape is the palm-like varieties.

One thing I like about about the bamboos is that they are fast growing. Are
there other members of the grass family that I could be looking at
(especially things with overhanging palm-like leaves? It's got to be happy
in salty air, strong winds and full sun, and hardy down to about -4C,
ideally.

Al

AL_n 27-02-2012 07:27 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

Janet wrote in
:

Plain old hawthorn can make a very beautiful and reliable tree,
interesting all year round ands submits to any amount or pruning and
shaping. If you want to push the boat out get one of the fancier
species with bigger berries, like Crataegus orientalis.

Thanks for this suggestion. I was unaware of the Crataegus orientalis
variety. Very pretty leaves - I like that. Very slow-growing though, I
suspect, are they?

Al

AL_n 27-02-2012 08:09 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

harry wrote in news:c626d701-99a9-4f81-a0aa-
:

I don't think any of these suggestions will grow in an exposed coastal
area with shallow soil.

I've just stubled across this interesting/attractive option:

Vitex agnus-castus:
http://tinyurl.com/6vxgco9

However, they attract bees, which could be a pain when you are sitting
under it, in close proximity!

Al

Janet 27-02-2012 08:49 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

In article ,
says...

Janet wrote in
:

Plain old hawthorn can make a very beautiful and reliable tree,
interesting all year round ands submits to any amount or pruning and
shaping. If you want to push the boat out get one of the fancier
species with bigger berries, like Crataegus orientalis.

Thanks for this suggestion. I was unaware of the Crataegus orientalis
variety. Very pretty leaves - I like that. Very slow-growing though, I
suspect, are they?

Maybe not as fast as native C monogyna. C Prunifolia is relatively fast
but the long thorns may not be appropriate for the location (handsome
though they are)

You'll find a small specimen grows away faster than a larger one.

Janet

AL_n 28-02-2012 08:38 AM

[...]

Thanks... Two other shrub/trees that I am considering are griselinia and
tamarisk. Both grow happily in my area.

I gather tamarisk can grow very tall whereas griselina grows to only a few
metres.

Can anyone comment on their suitability for planting close to a house?
Which one grows quickest?

The grielina seems suitable for container growing, but I'm not sure about
tamarisk, since it seems to have a way fo growing off to one side, rather
than vertically. Griselina is evergreen, which is nice, but if I grow it in
a container it's liable to get blown over when the gales arrive.

Al

Janet 28-02-2012 11:53 AM

[...]

Oh no it doesn't....the greenleaf one will grow to 40 ft (there are many
examples locally). I have griselinea hedges (one of them planted by me,
which I may regret in old age) and it grows like a rocket in our coastal
conditions here. It also self seeds like a weed. I have spent whole days
at a nearby NT garden,. just quelling griselinea in its bid to rule the
world. If you plant one be warned, it's high maintenance to keep it under
control and within reach.

The variegated griselinea is much slower IME but I have one I keep
pruned hard at 4 m and locally there's an unpruned one at double that.

TBH I wouldn't plant either griselinea as a solo feature plant because it
has no seasonal interest, just looks the same all year round... better as
a sturdy windproof privacy screen or evergreen background to something
more interesting.

Janet.

AL_n 25-03-2012 11:42 AM

Jake;951978 Wrote:

Something with a tree canopy that's at least 6' above ground, no more
than 6' above that but 16' in diameter is going to look like an alien
mutation.

I've got a cherry tree that matches that. Except that the 16ft is mainly
to one side of the trunk. And it would look like an alien mutation if it
were free standing. (Fortunately, it's growing over the roof of the
terrace).

I wonder whether you could do something with something that's slightly
weeping. I have a weeping crab apple which is on the right lines. I
managed to keep it going upwards by taking out the lowest branches each
year, but it's now stopped at about 5ft and is producing only
horizontals. Overall effect is indeed of a patio umbrella ;-)

I thiink a semi-weeping tree ia the answer. Can anyone suggest a quick-
growing semi-weeping cherry that grows to a maximum of 18ft and produces
plenty of quality cherries?

Al

Dave Hill 25-03-2012 12:36 PM

Jake;951978 Wrote:

[...]

Al- Hide quoted text -

And one that the birds will leave alone.

AL_n 25-03-2012 02:55 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

Dave Hill wrote in news:92809ae0-a23c-41fb-
:

And one that the birds will leave alone.

And one that bees don't like! (I forgot to mention that. It's going to be
my shade tree for sitting outside under, and I don't want to be pestered
with bees (much as I know their importance to the future of the planet)!

An alternative to a good fruit-producing strain, a good blossom-producing
strain woyuld be a good alternative, although, I suppose more blossom =
more bees buzzing around, yes?

Perhaps I should be looking at a different type of 15ft high semi-weeping
tree altogether. I've been looking at dogwoods, and salix, and the
aforementions bottlebrush. I also have a tamarisk sapling that is already
3ft tall. I wonder if that will end up being the winning candidate! I'm
right on the South Coast, but my soil is far from "well-drained"; it is
seriously clayey.

Al

Spider[_3_] 26-03-2012 01:47 PM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

On 25/03/2012 14:55, AL_n wrote:
Dave wrote in news:92809ae0-a23c-41fb-
:

And one that the birds will leave alone.

And one that bees don't like! (I forgot to mention that. It's going to be
my shade tree for sitting outside under, and I don't want to be pestered
with bees (much as I know their importance to the future of the planet)!

An alternative to a good fruit-producing strain, a good blossom-producing
strain woyuld be a good alternative, although, I suppose more blossom =
more bees buzzing around, yes?

Perhaps I should be looking at a different type of 15ft high semi-weeping
tree altogether. I've been looking at dogwoods, and salix, and the
aforementions bottlebrush. I also have a tamarisk sapling that is already
3ft tall. I wonder if that will end up being the winning candidate! I'm
right on the South Coast, but my soil is far from "well-drained"; it is
seriously clayey.

Al

If you want a cherry tree that won't attract bees, you're better off
looking at a double-flowering form. However, with this type, you will
not get fruit. In double-flowerers the reproductive organs (stamen,
etc) are mostly developed into the extra petals you see, therefore bees
aren't interested and there is no fertilisation, so the plant cannot
reproduce. This also means that the flowering season is extended
because the flowers do 'go over' as fertilised flowers do prior to
forming fruit.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

AL_n 27-03-2012 10:46 AM

Help - choosing a tree for my back garden

Spider wrote in
:

[...]

Many thanks for this info, which I wasn't aware of. That's helpful, because
a prolific-flowering cherry doeas appeal to me - especially if bees aren;t
interested in it. The presence of the extra blossom more or less mitigates
the lack of fruit, for my purposes.

Can anyone suggest a particular variety to look for, that is semi-weeping,
or wide-spreading, and grows to a maximum of about 16 ft? (preferaby not a
grafted type, because I think those look unnatural, and I gather are also
more prone to disease).

Al