GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Keeping water butt water safe for drinking? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/202476-keeping-water-butt-water-safe-drinking.html)

AL_n 02-03-2012 06:12 PM

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

What is the best way of keeping rainwater-butt-water clean and unpolluted
so that it remains safely drinkable? The rainwater will be collected from
the roof of my house via the guttering downpipe.

Thanks...

Al

'Mike'[_4_] 02-03-2012 06:46 PM

"AL_n" wrote in message
What is the best way of keeping rainwater-butt-water clean and unpolluted
so that it remains safely drinkable? The rainwater will be collected from
the roof of my house via the guttering downpipe.

Thanks...

Al

""The rainwater will be collected from
the roof of my house via the guttering downpipe""

So is mine :-((

No way would I want to drink from my butt. Have you seen the wrigglies in
it? And the moss which comes off the roof?

I have tried filtering the water as it goes INTO the butt
............................ failed

Mike

Jake 02-03-2012 06:51 PM

On 2 Mar 2012 18:12:51 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

What is the best way of keeping rainwater-butt-water clean and unpolluted
so that it remains safely drinkable? The rainwater will be collected from
the roof of my house via the guttering downpipe.

Thanks...

Al

Keeping.....?

What ends up in your water butt will include crud that has collected
on your roof since the last rainfall. Dust and the like and probably
some bird crap that washes down with the water.

You will need to install a water purification system at the outlet
point.

This is why we occasionally empty out and clean our water butts, even
though the water in them is only used to water plants and fill ponds.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

AL_n 02-03-2012 07:28 PM

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

Jake wrote in
:

You will need to install a water purification system at the outlet
point.

Thanks for the good suggestion. I guess that would be the answer.

Al

AL_n 02-03-2012 07:34 PM

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

No way would I want to drink from my butt. Have you seen the wrigglies
in it? And the moss which comes off the roof?

I have tried filtering the water as it goes INTO the butt
........................... failed

Yes, I'm aware of the wrigglies etc. That's exactly what I'm concerned
about. I guess Jake's suggestion of filtering at the outlet is the answer.
I think one can make an effective filtration system out of sand and
charcoal, IIRC.

Al

Jake 02-03-2012 08:01 PM

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

On 2 Mar 2012 19:28:06 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

Jake wrote in
:

You will need to install a water purification system at the outlet
point.

Thanks for the good suggestion. I guess that would be the answer.

Al

Just remember that I said "water purification" not "water filtration".

If you want to drink the stuff, you will need not only a filter but at
least a UV system to make the water safe to drink. You need to take
out the miniscule bacteria that will pass through a filter bed. And
that filter bed will not just be a box of sand - the composition and
size of the filtration materials/particals (plurals) will be a
critical factor.

Rainwater harvesting setups for in-home use will usually comprise
something substantially larger than a water butt - incorporating
underground storage tank(s) and pumping, filtration and purification
systems.

For that matter, how will you keep the tap sterile if it's in the open
air (or even if it's not). If you check a bottled water label it will
usually say consume within a period after opening even if kept in the
fridge indoors. Once the air gets to it, it starts to deteriorate.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

[email protected] 02-03-2012 08:10 PM

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

In article ,
AL_n wrote:
"'Mike'" wrote in
:

No way would I want to drink from my butt. Have you seen the wrigglies
in it? And the moss which comes off the roof?

I have tried filtering the water as it goes INTO the butt
........................... failed

Yes, I'm aware of the wrigglies etc. That's exactly what I'm concerned
about. I guess Jake's suggestion of filtering at the outlet is the answer.

The wrigglies are not a problem - they are just good protein. It's
the invisible nasties in the bird crap that is the issue. Even if
you are someone who regards salmonella as an acceptable part of your
diet (yes, there are plenty of us who do), birds can carry worse
things.

I think one can make an effective filtration system out of sand and
charcoal, IIRC.

You can. But you need more of them than most people want to allocate
the space for.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

[email protected] 02-03-2012 08:23 PM

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 20:01:54 +0000, Jake
wrote:

On 2 Mar 2012 19:28:06 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

Jake wrote in
m:

[...]

For example:

http://www.clean-fresh-water.co.uk/r...er-rainpc.html

I'll stick with 'Tap' plus a supplementary filter, thanks. Anyway, in
West London, the supply of rainwater is pretty variable and best saved
for the garden.

Regards
JonH

AL_n 02-03-2012 09:18 PM

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

Jake wrote in
:

Just remember that I said "water purification" not "water filtration".

If you want to drink the stuff, you will need not only a filter but at
least a UV system to make the water safe to drink

Bio sand filters are effectively used for purifying dirty water for
drinking.

I guess there is also the option of adding a tiny amount of bleach!

Al

AL_n 02-03-2012 09:31 PM

wrote in :

You can. But you need more of them than most people want to allocate
the space for.

Why?

[email protected] 02-03-2012 09:33 PM

AL_n wrote:

You can. But you need more of them than most people want to allocate
the space for.

Why?

Because they aren't continuous, so that water can get through between
the particles. Effectively, that means that they reduce the bacteria
(exponentially with thickness).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Janet 02-03-2012 09:41 PM

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

In article ,
says...

What is the best way of keeping rainwater-butt-water clean and unpolluted
so that it remains safely drinkable? The rainwater will be collected from
the roof of my house via the guttering downpipe.

Roof water isn't drinkable quality imo (take a look at what collects
inside inside your gutters and what's wriggling in the bottom of the
waterbutt). You'll still need to filter and boil it.
We used to use it just for washing, and flushing lavs.

Janet

AL_n 02-03-2012 10:06 PM

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

Janet wrote in news:MPG.29bb4eed56b7306c98b1c9
@news.eternal-september.org:

Roof water isn't drinkable quality imo (take a look at what collects
inside inside your gutters and what's wriggling in the bottom of the
waterbutt). You'll still need to filter and boil it.

Yes, boiling is an option.

Al

AL_n 02-03-2012 10:11 PM

wrote in :

Because they aren't continuous, so that water can get through between
the particles. Effectively, that means that they reduce the bacteria
(exponentially with thickness).

Sorry; I'm not following. What do you mean when you say sand & charcoal
filters are not continuous? And thickness of what?

Al

Dave Hill 02-03-2012 10:16 PM

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

On Mar 2, 9:41*pm, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

What is the best way of keeping rainwater-butt-water clean and unpolluted
so that it remains safely drinkable? The rainwater will be collected from
the roof of my house via the guttering downpipe.

* Roof water isn't drinkable quality imo (take a look at what collects
inside inside your gutters and what's wriggling in the bottom of the
waterbutt). You'll still need to filter and boil it.
* *We used to use it just for washing, and flushing lavs.

* * Janet

What a lot of fuss.
When I was little, around 5 years old (1947)we lived right out on the
Llyn peninsula in North Wales, we had a galvanised rainwater tank,
with a tight fitting lid and a pump to get water from a well which we
shared with 2 other houses for when the tank was low.
Then in the 50's we lived outside Hastings and had a borehole and a
large concrete tank under the garage that stored our rainwater and the
water we pumped up from the borehole, though we mostly used the rain
water as the borehole water was very rich in iron so turned rust red
within hours of pumping up so had to be left to settle before you
could use it; though it tasted great fresh;
It was pumped into a pool that had newts and dragonfly lava in it,
then through gravel filters and down to the tank.
From the tank we pumped it into a tank in the roof and from there to
the taps.
We drank water straight from the tap and never had any problems, but
then we hadn't been pampered with a streile world.

David@ the wet end of Swansea Bay

AL_n 02-03-2012 10:29 PM

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

"AL_n" wrote in news:XnsA00AD7F098B2Bzzzzzz@
130.133.4.11:

Bio sand filters are effectively used for purifying dirty water for
drinking.

I guess there is also the option of adding a tiny amount of bleach!

PS.. boiling is pretty reliable, I gather.

[email protected] 02-03-2012 10:41 PM

AL_n wrote:

Because they aren't continuous, so that water can get through between
the particles. Effectively, that means that they reduce the bacteria
(exponentially with thickness).

Sorry; I'm not following. What do you mean when you say sand & charcoal
filters are not continuous? And thickness of what?

They are particulate. And thickness of the bed. Sorry, I don't
have time to translate and explain just now, but you will be able
to find a complete description of the mechanism if you search the
Web for how the water treatment plants that supply our drinking
water work.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Dave Liquorice[_3_] 02-03-2012 11:12 PM

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 21:41:36 -0000, Janet wrote:

Roof water isn't drinkable quality imo (take a look at what collects
inside inside your gutters and what's wriggling in the bottom of the
waterbutt).

TBH I'd be happier drinking natural water that had things wriggling
in the bottom than water that didn't...

You'll still need to filter and boil it.

Filter maybe but a take off a few inches above the bottom should
ensure that it's pretty free of suspended particles/sediment. How
much muck gets in also depends on how the rain water is fed into the
butt. One of those downspout take off thigs and horizontal or slight
fall pipe will deposit more muck into the butt than a pipe that is U
shaped.

I'm sort of divided over boiling/UV treatment, the vast majority of
the worlds population don't have that luxury and although there is a
lot of water borne disease the population levels are still high.

It's not that long ago that many places in this country would have
been using water straight from a well or spring. Indeed I think the
farm below us is on spring water, don't know how much treatment it
gets. Sisters house was also on pumped well water, they did have
filters to start with then tests showed rather a high bug content so
they added UV treatment.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Moonraker 03-03-2012 08:22 AM

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

On 02/03/2012 23:35, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 23:12:54 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

[...]

So is hepatitis.

It's not that long ago that many places in this country would have
been using water straight from a well or spring. Indeed I think the
farm below us is on spring water, don't know how much treatment it
gets. Sisters house was also on pumped well water, they did have
filters to start with then tests showed rather a high bug content so
they added UV treatment.

In the late 1950's I worked on an outstation in the RAF. The only water
we had was that collected off the roof, which we had to boil before
drinking. However we had a new M.O. posted to the main station, one of
his first tasks was to analyse the water we were drinking. He soon
arranged for a regular delivery of water to us, for, amongst other
impurities, he found there was a fair amount of arsenic the water
garnered off the roof, so I would not drink yours without careful
analysis by a professional.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 03-03-2012 09:14 AM

"AL_n" wrote in message
What is the best way of keeping rainwater-butt-water clean and unpolluted
so that it remains safely drinkable? The rainwater will be collected from
the roof of my house via the guttering downpipe.

Thanks...

Al

You need something along the lines of the big filter systems used for
keeping Koi carp, preferably one with a UV element, as Nick has tried to
explain, sand/gravel/charcoal filters are more effective the longer the
water has to pass through them so the need to very large to be effective, if
you have the space fine otherwise you will need to treat the water and UV is
the easiest method to set up.
After you have done all this you also need to get the resulting water tested
to confirm its doing its job.

It may be cheaper to have a well/borehole and pump (as we do)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

[email protected] 03-03-2012 09:22 AM

wrote:
[...]

You will not get hepatitis by drinking water from a butt that has
collected rainwater from a roof.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

harry 03-03-2012 09:30 AM

On Mar 2, 6:12*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
What is the best way of keeping rainwater-butt-water clean and unpolluted
so that it remains safely drinkable? The rainwater will be collected from
the roof of my house via the guttering downpipe.

Thanks...

Al

I have an underground tank that collects water off the driveway.
Used for garden at the moment.. I am going to extend use to toilet &
then get in a water meter.

However the thought has crossed my mind just to buy bottled water for
drinking and tell the water people to F off when I'm set up.

I already have a septic tank.
If you have the space, that's something to consider.
Water/sewage round here is around £400.
Water alone is around £200.
Needs emptying around every four years, cost is £200ish, save=£600.

harry 03-03-2012 09:31 AM

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

On Mar 3, 9:22*am, wrote:
In article ,

wrote:
[...]

Nick Maclaren.- Hide quoted text -

You might get salmonella. (birdshit)

[email protected] 03-03-2012 09:43 AM

harry wrote:

I'm sort of divided over boiling/UV treatment, the vast majority of
the worlds population don't have that luxury and although there is a
lot of water borne disease the population levels are still high.

So is hepatitis.

You will not get hepatitis by drinking water from a butt that has
collected rainwater from a roof.

You might get salmonella. (birdshit)

Aw, gee! More seriously, as I posted, many people aren't going
to be affected by that. It is very rarely serious, and the only
reason that most of the people who get affected do so is because
they consume an unnaturally sterile diet.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

[email protected] 03-03-2012 10:24 AM

Martin wrote:

I'm sort of divided over boiling/UV treatment, the vast majority of
the worlds population don't have that luxury and although there is a
lot of water borne disease the population levels are still high.

So is hepatitis.

You will not get hepatitis by drinking water from a butt that has
collected rainwater from a roof.

I referred to the vast majority of "the worlds population". People do
get hepatitis from drinking spring water sometimes and water that has
been collected in tanks. It was common in tap water on the Greek
Islands at one time

You are Edwin Poots and I claim my bent farthing!

Hepatitis A comes from the faeces of infected humans - NOWHERE else.
It is not transmitted by birds. Think about it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Janet 03-03-2012 10:32 AM

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

In article 6865b563-8510-4e27-8fb1-275133d79dd5
@v2g2000vbx.googlegroups.com, says...

On Mar 2, 9:41*pm, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

From the tank we pumped it into a tank in the roof and from there to
the taps.

You had TAPS? There's posh. In my childhood home there wasn't a tap in
the house, for anything. Every drop of water we used for every purpose,
was fetched in a bucket from an outdoor hand-pump 30 yards away, shared
with next door. Fortunately we had no flush lav or my arms would be even
longer. To this day, turning on a tap gives me a tiny thrill, especially
hot ones.

We drank water straight from the tap and never had any problems, but
then we hadn't been pampered with a streile world.

David@ the wet end of Swansea Bay

I lived on a similar private water system until 10 years ago. All too
often, in very cold or very hot weather, turning on a tap was a big
disappointment :-) The rainwater butts collecting roof water were our
back up supply for whenever something went wrong with the water system.

I still would not drink the roof water without boiling it.

Janet.

Dave Liquorice[_3_] 03-03-2012 10:34 AM

On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 01:30:31 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

However the thought has crossed my mind just to buy bottled water for
drinking and tell the water people to F off when I'm set up.

With mains water at around 0.003p/l (£3/1000l or cubic metre) I doubt
that is economic. The big water cooler type bottles cost about £5/20l
ish, so about 20p/l.

I wouldn't be surprised if we use 10l/day just for drinking and food
prep, that's about £1000/year at 20p/l...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Janet 03-03-2012 10:45 AM

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

In article f937b0d9-a67e-4809-b0aa-4ff907fd73f6
@w19g2000vbe.googlegroups.com, says...

I have an underground tank that collects water off the driveway.
Used for garden at the moment.. I am going to extend use to toilet &
then get in a water meter.

However the thought has crossed my mind just to buy bottled water for
drinking and tell the water people to F off when I'm set up.

What's the capacity of your underground tank?
It's unlikely to supply enough for showers and an automatic washing
machine, especially in summer.

I've lived doing handlaundry for an entire family outdoors in a tin tub
with cold water; bathing in a washing up bowl etc, only flushing the lav
once a day... I suggest you and your household try them all out for a
week before telling the water people to eff off.

Janet

Baz[_4_] 03-03-2012 11:31 AM

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

"AL_n" wrote in
:

What is the best way of keeping rainwater-butt-water clean and
unpolluted so that it remains safely drinkable? The rainwater will be
collected from the roof of my house via the guttering downpipe.

Thanks...

Al

I know that the British Forces use "Puritabs". They would not use them if
they were not very effective.
The only problem is that I would think that treating your water butt would
be more expensive than metered water from your supplier.

Your guttering will be full of harmful bacteria. I would rather drink a
lepers pi** than drink from a water butt. Treated or not.

Baz

Baz[_4_] 03-03-2012 11:37 AM

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

No way would I want to drink from my butt.

Mike

Well you always talk out of it!

Baz

[email protected] 03-03-2012 12:08 PM

Martin wrote:

You will not get hepatitis by drinking water from a butt that has
collected rainwater from a roof.

I referred to the vast majority of "the worlds population". People do
get hepatitis from drinking spring water sometimes and water that has
been collected in tanks. It was common in tap water on the Greek
Islands at one time

You are Edwin Poots and I claim my bent farthing!

Hepatitis A comes from the faeces of infected humans - NOWHERE else.
It is not transmitted by birds. Think about it.

Did you think about it? Faeces of infected humans can get into tap
water.

Sigh. This thread is about drinking rainwater collected off a roof
in the UK into a waterbutt. Your wittering is no more relevant than
warning of the risk of giardia would be.

Anyway, I am not going to respond to any more of this Pootery.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

uriel13 04-03-2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AL_n (Post 952426)
What is the best way of keeping rainwater-butt-water clean and unpolluted
so that it remains safely drinkable? The rainwater will be collected from
the roof of my house via the guttering downpipe.

Thanks...

Al

Hi Al,

We have all eaten a spider or similar during our sleep. However when it comes to water butts it is the flying rat better known as the pigeon which is the most dangerous. They like nothing better than to perch on guttering, they poo where they perch and are carriers of many diseases. I would never think of using that water for anything other than the garden!!!

uriel13

The mind is like a parachute its totally useless unless open

[email protected] 04-03-2012 10:11 AM

uriel13 wrote:

We have all eaten a spider or similar during our sleep. However when it
comes to water butts it is the flying rat better known as the pigeon
which is the most dangerous. They like nothing better than to perch on
guttering, they poo where they perch and are carriers of many diseases.
I would never think of using that water for anything other than the
garden!!!

While that is true, you are being a little too extreme. Pigeons
may carry a huge number of diseases, but are not at all rat-like
(except compared with a tree, for example) and the vast majority
of the diseases they carry are ubiquitous in the environment and
normally dealt with by our immune system.

Excessive numbers of pigeons ARE a health hazard, many of those
diseases are potentially serious, and not drinking untreated butt
water for that reason is a good idea, but it is important not to
get hysterical about the issue.

A far more serious cause of premature death is a nasty mammal,
often called the motorhead, Clarksonia insana, for example.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Dave Hill 04-03-2012 02:47 PM

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

I just wonder how Homo sapiens ever managed to develop to where we are
today without the aid of Health and Safety

[email protected] 04-03-2012 02:57 PM

Dave Hill wrote:

I just wonder how Homo sapiens ever managed to develop to where we are
today without the aid of Health and Safety

Well, most didn't survive childhood and, in places without clean
water, many don't today. However, the water-borne diseases that
do almost all of the killing are NOT those that are likely to
get into a waterbutt in the UK. Most people completely lack any
understanding of sane risk assessment, regrettably.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Stephen Wolstenholme[_2_] 04-03-2012 02:59 PM

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 06:47:16 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

I just wonder how Homo sapiens ever managed to develop to where we are
today without the aid of Health and Safety

I think that evolution has quite a bit chunk of 'Health and Safety'
built in.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Dave Liquorice[_3_] 04-03-2012 03:10 PM

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 06:47:16 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill wrote:

I just wonder how Homo sapiens ever managed to develop to where we are
today without the aid of Health and Safety

Quite, as a species we seem to survive quite well without "pure mains
water". I reckon that 50 years ago most rural places would have been
using water straight from a well or borehole without any treatment at
all. Our paddock still has the trough that was the water supply up
until about 30 years ago when an unreliable supply pumped up from a
farm further down arrived. Mains water arrived only just over 20
years ago.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Janet 04-03-2012 04:37 PM

Keeping water butt water safe for drinking?

In article 05471377-9d71-417a-b8a0-
,
says...

I just wonder how Homo sapiens ever managed to develop to where we are
today without the aid of Health and Safety

Life expectancy was much shorter; just like it still is in countries
where people don't have a clean water supply.

Janet