Old 14-03-2012, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default greenhouse watering devices

Could someone recommend a watering device for a 10 x 6 greenhouse.
It is only needed when I go on holiday. the time I require is 1 minute about
every 2 days.

Also it needs to be easy to set. I just want a simple one! I have no-one
reliable to water for me.

Thanks in advance. Ann

Old 14-03-2012, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/03/2012 08:47, Ann Lancing wrote:

Could someone recommend a watering device for a 10 x 6 greenhouse.
It is only needed when I go on holiday. the time I require is 1 minute
about every 2 days.

Also it needs to be easy to set. I just want a simple one! I have no-one
reliable to water for me.

Thanks in advance. Ann

We have a HozeLock system that has worked fine for 2 years. It delivers
water relatively slowly so you would probably need to set to say 15 mins.

Paul
Old 14-03-2012, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/03/2012 08:47, Ann Lancing wrote:

Could someone recommend a watering device for a 10 x 6 greenhouse.
It is only needed when I go on holiday. the time I require is 1 minute
about every 2 days.

That sounds a bit short! Do you have mains water available?

If so I'd recommend one of the standard attach to the tap timed valves
and thin wall drip or spray irrigation systems.

If you have a water sump but no mains water then I have used one of the
solar fountain pumps on a timer to supply presurissed water to a
standard hoselock irrigation system (needs a nylon stocking over the
intake to avoid ajmming the jets with mosquito larvae).

http://www.nezumi.demon.co.uk/garden/water/fountain.htm
(towards the bottom of the page)

Also it needs to be easy to set. I just want a simple one! I have no-one
reliable to water for me.

One thing I would recommend is run the thing as if you *are* away for at
least a fortnight ahead of your trip so that you can tune it to do what
you want. It is very easy to come back and find some plants under waters
and others bone dry if you don't thoroughly test it.

Thanks in advance. Ann

Another trick for spot watering is a lemonade bottle with some black
tape at the top. You adjust the amount of tape to get the watering rate
right. A thin brass pipe curved over at the top through the screw cap
with a blob of aradite or silicone rubber to make a gas tight seal.

Almost fill with it water and put it so the water drips on your plant.
In sun the air expands and drives water out of the drip feed.

Make sure the sun can't be focussed on anything flammable by the the
bottle! Or wrap it with white paper or diffuser.

A commercial product similar to this by drip feed which uses the bottle
inverted is/was on sale a few years back. It tended to go wrong and
discharge an entire bottle overnight sometimes.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 14-03-2012, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Mar 14, 10:28*am, Martin Brown
wrote:
[...]

You don't say what you want to water, is it a tomato crop planted into
the soil, grow bags or a series of pots on slatted bench or pots on
capilary matting?
Old 14-03-2012, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hello Dave,

wrote:

[...]

It is for geraniums I have overwintered, some on the soil base and some on
slatted staging.
Mainly at this time of the year.

Ann