GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lily Beetle Be Damned! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/202731-lily-beetle-damned.html)

Jake 21-03-2012 11:21 AM

Lily Beetle Be Damned!

been doing a little bit of tidying up outside. Went to remove a couple
of dead leaves from my strawberries and discovered that the undersides
of many of the (living) leaves have lily beetles on them. Or rather
"had" - I must have thumbnailed over 20 this morning. And that's after
finding them in January on clematis I was cutting back.

At least no sign of babies!

I'm beginning to wonder if these blasted critters are now developing a
wider diet and will become a pest of other plants beside lilies,
fritillaries and the like.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

Bob Hobden 21-03-2012 05:09 PM

Lily Beetle Be Damned!

"Martin" wrote ...

Jake wrote:

been doing a little bit of tidying up outside. Went to remove a couple
of dead leaves from my strawberries and discovered that the undersides
of many of the (living) leaves have lily beetles on them. Or rather
"had" - I must have thumbnailed over 20 this morning. And that's after
finding them in January on clematis I was cutting back.

At least no sign of babies!

I'm beginning to wonder if these blasted critters are now developing a
wider diet and will become a pest of other plants beside lilies,
fritillaries and the like.

On the plus side we have had no sign of mosquitoes since 2010. The
result of a combination of cold winters followed by drought perhaps.

Lucky you, I was bitten three times on the knee the other day and it looked
and itched remarkably like a mossie bite.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.