Old 21-03-2012, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lily Beetle Be Damned!

been doing a little bit of tidying up outside. Went to remove a couple
of dead leaves from my strawberries and discovered that the undersides
of many of the (living) leaves have lily beetles on them. Or rather
"had" - I must have thumbnailed over 20 this morning. And that's after
finding them in January on clematis I was cutting back.

At least no sign of babies!

I'm beginning to wonder if these blasted critters are now developing a
wider diet and will become a pest of other plants beside lilies,
fritillaries and the like.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
Old 21-03-2012, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote ...

Jake wrote:

been doing a little bit of tidying up outside. Went to remove a couple
of dead leaves from my strawberries and discovered that the undersides
of many of the (living) leaves have lily beetles on them. Or rather
"had" - I must have thumbnailed over 20 this morning. And that's after
finding them in January on clematis I was cutting back.

At least no sign of babies!

I'm beginning to wonder if these blasted critters are now developing a
wider diet and will become a pest of other plants beside lilies,
fritillaries and the like.

On the plus side we have had no sign of mosquitoes since 2010. The
result of a combination of cold winters followed by drought perhaps.

Lucky you, I was bitten three times on the knee the other day and it looked
and itched remarkably like a mossie bite.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Lily Beetle '09 Pam Moore[_2_] United Kingdom 2 29-04-2009 11:14 PM
Scarlet Lily Beetle monitoring Elizabeth United Kingdom 19 09-07-2003 10:08 PM
Scarlet Lily Beetle monitoring Elizabeth United Kingdom 1 25-06-2003 06:32 PM
Red Lily Beetle Trevor United Kingdom 3 05-06-2003 02:44 PM
Lily beetle again Pam Moore United Kingdom 4 24-03-2003 09:32 PM