Old 21-03-2012, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Carrot tops - edible??

"harry" wrote in message
On Mar 21, 12:23 pm, houndsy wrote:
Can I safely eat the foliage grown by carrots?? I'm getting interested
in eating assorted young greens. And radishes, and turnips.......
(thoughts of rhubarb leaves has made me ask).

I think carrot tops can be eaten.
In general,you need to be cautious about eating vegetble tops.
Many are poisonous, some extremely so.
It's natures way to prevent them being eaten by grazing animals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrot

You "think" ????????

From my previous posting .................

I do illustrated talks, mainly to WI's and one of my subjects is 'Food
Rationing in World War II'

I did a lot of research and of course I remember a lot from WW II, but I
think you will find the following of some help

http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/carrotops.html

OK?

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 23-03-2012, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in :

In article ,
David Rance wrote:

You are probably a non-taster. Bitterness can be tasted by less
than half of the UK population, apparently, though it seems to be
more common among the people I know. The others taste it in the
same way as sourness. If you regard lemon juice as more bitter
than grapefruit juice, or can counteractness bitterness with sugar,
you are a non-taster.

Many, many people describe something as bitter when it is, in reality,
sour. Apples, for instance. There *are* bitter apples, for instance

most
cider apples, but when someone is trying to explain to me that

something
is bitter and I think it is sour, is it because the other person is
unable to tell the difference? That's something that I hadn't heard
before.

It's fairly well-known among the appropropriate biomedical people.
There are tests for some of the more common genetic causes. Try
gurgling 'bitter tasting test'.

And what do we mean by sour? Sour milk is not the same as a sour apple
..... or is it?

No, because the acids are different, and taste different. Neither is
bitter.

Confused!! I know what *I* mean but does anyone else?

Oh, yes. But it's sufficiently complicated that you need to be a bit
of an expert to work out what is going on. I don't claim to be, but
I know more than most people about this.

Incidentally, to a strong bitter-taster, grapefruit are BOTH bitter
AND sweet, and sugar does not mask bitterness. Salt does, to some
extent, as do the buffering molecules in beer. Lemon, on the other
juice hand, is almost entirely sour (because it contains almost no
sugar), but the peel is bitter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Would I be right in saying that most people are anosmic in differing
degrees?
Many years ago I had a huge blow to my head and found that weeks later
that there was something missing, and it was my sense of smell.
It came about that I KNEW something was missing and I could not smell my
dads Brut.
Later, after the blow I found that even a cooking smell of frying made me
retch. Even the kettle boiling had a foul smell to me.

It is all much better now, but I miss the smell of freshly cut grass and
the ozone on a misty summers morning.

Baz
Old 31-03-2012, 03:09 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
On Mar 21, 12:23*pm, houndsy wrote:
Can I safely eat the foliage grown by carrots?? *I'm getting interested
in eating assorted young greens. *And radishes, and turnips.......
(thoughts of rhubarb leaves has made me ask).

I think carrot tops can be eaten.
In general,you need to be cautious about eating vegetble tops.
Many are poisonous, some extremely so.
It's natures way to prevent them being eaten by grazing animals.

Carrot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are some families of plants which one shouldn't experiment with. The umbellifers is one such family - carrots, parsley, parsnip etc. As well as edible plants it also contains some poisonous ones (eg hemlock). So each plant needs researching separately. The pea family is another dodgy one, as is the potato family, where one part of a plant may be poisonous and another part edible.

As far as I know, the rose family doesn't have any majorly poisonous plants in it - but please don't take my word for this.

But basically - if you are experimenting, get to know the species relationships of your plants, and add this into your decision making.
__________________
Old 08-04-2012, 02:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"houndsy" wrote in message
o.uk...
Can I safely eat the foliage grown by carrots?? I'm getting interested in
eating assorted young greens. And radishes, and turnips....... (thoughts
of rhubarb leaves has made me ask).

Do not eat rhubarb leaves, they are poisonous.

Everything else you mentioned is OK

Old 08-04-2012, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 8 Apr 2012 02:06:20 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"houndsy" wrote in message
news:gsKdnbGem7iRV_TSnZ2dnUVZ7oKdnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
Can I safely eat the foliage grown by carrots?? I'm getting interested in
eating assorted young greens. And radishes, and turnips....... (thoughts
of rhubarb leaves has made me ask).

Do not eat rhubarb leaves, they are poisonous.

You need to eat a lot of rhubarb leaves to cause any harm. The taste
will put you off first. Next time you have rhubarb try chewing a bit
raw from the leaf end to sample the flavour!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 08-04-2012, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 11:27:16 +0200, Martin wrote:

wrote:

"houndsy" wrote in message
news:gsKdnbGem7iRV_TSnZ2dnUVZ7oKdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk...
Can I safely eat the foliage grown by carrots?? I'm getting interested in
eating assorted young greens. And radishes, and turnips....... (thoughts
of rhubarb leaves has made me ask).

Do not eat rhubarb leaves, they are poisonous.

You need to eat a lot of rhubarb leaves to cause any harm. The taste
will put you off first. Next time you have rhubarb try chewing a bit
raw from the leaf end to sample the flavour!

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/poison

That web site does point out the huge amount of rhubarb that would
have to be eaten to cause any harm. My point is that the taste will
stop anyone eating the leaves.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com