GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Limp Cucumber (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/20277-limp-cucumber.html)

Drakanthus 03-05-2003 06:20 PM

Limp Cucumber

I bought a greenhouse cucumber plant a couple of weeks ago and planted it in my
greenhouse border.
However it is starting to look a bit sorry for itself and the leaves are quite
limp. It is close to the greenhouse door which we leave open during the daytime
now the weather has improved - could it have caught a chill or is there another
likely cause?
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Serendipity 03-05-2003 07:44 PM

Limp Cucumber

On Sat, 3 May 2003 19:14:28 +0100, "Rod"
wrote:

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
I bought a greenhouse cucumber plant a couple of weeks ago and planted it

in my
greenhouse border.
However it is starting to look a bit sorry for itself and the leaves are

quite
limp. It is close to the greenhouse door which we leave open during the

daytime
now the weather has improved - could it have caught a chill or is there

another
likely cause?
--

Best get another one.

If that's an unheated house you planted too soon and probably also slipped
up with the hardening off - that's very easy to get wrong for cucumbers
they're most unco-operative plants. Draughts and over/underwatering are also
on the list of nonos.

I always had similar problems until I
discovered "cucumis Sainsburyii "
Since then, no troubles at al l:-)

david 03-05-2003 10:20 PM

Limp Cucumber

It would be very happy with a temp of 70f or so.
You could try 4 canes around the plant (Or its successor) with a large clear
poly bag over them, but I would plant as far from the door as poss. and hang
a poly curtain to close off that bit of the glasshouse so it can enjoy much
higher temp and high humidity,

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Drakanthus 04-05-2003 01:08 PM

Limp Cucumber

It would be very happy with a temp of 70f or so.
You could try 4 canes around the plant (Or its successor) with a large clear
poly bag over them, but I would plant as far from the door as poss. and hang
a poly curtain to close off that bit of the glasshouse so it can enjoy much
higher temp and high humidity,

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Thanks for the advice David. I've put a large poly bag round to see if it picks
up. If not I'll replace it and move its successor further from the door, again
with poly bag.