Old 03-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Drakanthus

Default Limp Cucumber

I bought a greenhouse cucumber plant a couple of weeks ago and planted it in my
greenhouse border.
However it is starting to look a bit sorry for itself and the leaves are quite
limp. It is close to the greenhouse door which we leave open during the daytime
now the weather has improved - could it have caught a chill or is there another
likely cause?
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 03-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Serendipity

On Sat, 3 May 2003 19:14:28 +0100, "Rod"
wrote:

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
I bought a greenhouse cucumber plant a couple of weeks ago and planted it

in my
greenhouse border.
However it is starting to look a bit sorry for itself and the leaves are

quite
limp. It is close to the greenhouse door which we leave open during the

daytime
now the weather has improved - could it have caught a chill or is there

another
likely cause?
--

Best get another one.

If that's an unheated house you planted too soon and probably also slipped
up with the hardening off - that's very easy to get wrong for cucumbers
they're most unco-operative plants. Draughts and over/underwatering are also
on the list of nonos.

I always had similar problems until I
discovered "cucumis Sainsburyii "
Since then, no troubles at al l:-)
Old 03-05-2003, 10:20 PM
david

It would be very happy with a temp of 70f or so.
You could try 4 canes around the plant (Or its successor) with a large clear
poly bag over them, but I would plant as far from the door as poss. and hang
a poly curtain to close off that bit of the glasshouse so it can enjoy much
higher temp and high humidity,

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 04-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Drakanthus

It would be very happy with a temp of 70f or so.
You could try 4 canes around the plant (Or its successor) with a large clear
poly bag over them, but I would plant as far from the door as poss. and hang
a poly curtain to close off that bit of the glasshouse so it can enjoy much
higher temp and high humidity,

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Thanks for the advice David. I've put a large poly bag round to see if it picks
up. If not I'll replace it and move its successor further from the door, again
with poly bag.