GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Nice tree for a smallish garden? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/20283-nice-tree-smallish-garden.html)

Randall P. McMurphy 03-05-2003 07:44 PM

Nice tree for a smallish garden?

can someone recommend a nice small tree....about the size of a Laburnum
tree. id like it to be fairly quick to grow.... colourful and not
poisonous. it will have a fairly sheltered life as it will be sheltered by
to sheds for the first 6 ft of life....but will get plenty of sun.

any suggestions?

ta

rpm

Sacha 03-05-2003 10:32 PM

Nice tree for a smallish garden?

in article , Randall P.
McMurphy at wrote on 3/5/03 7:39 pm:

can someone recommend a nice small tree....about the size of a Laburnum
tree. id like it to be fairly quick to grow.... colourful and not
poisonous. it will have a fairly sheltered life as it will be sheltered by
to sheds for the first 6 ft of life....but will get plenty of sun.

any suggestions?

ta

rpm

Gleditsia triacanthos 'Sunburst'.
--

Sacha

Randall P. McMurphy 04-05-2003 09:20 AM

Nice tree for a smallish garden?

nice one...getting into trees now!

rpm

Sacha 04-05-2003 03:32 PM

wrote on 3/5/03 7:39 pm:

| can someone recommend a nice small tree....about the size of a Laburnum
| tree. snip
|

| Gleditsia triacanthos 'Sunburst'.
| --
|
| Sacha

(Top posting changed)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ages/355.shtml

looks nice, ta! now where to buy one?

rpm

Where do you live? Once we know that, someone with the Plant Finder book
can look up a nursery for you that might be able to help.

--

Sacha

Randall P. McMurphy 06-05-2003 02:23 AM

"Sacha" wrote in message
| in article , Randall P.
| McMurphy at wrote on 3/5/03 11:57 pm:
|

| "Sacha" wrote in message
| | in article , Randall
P.
| | McMurphy at
wrote on 3/5/03 7:39 pm:
| |
| | can someone recommend a nice small tree....about the size of a
Laburnum
| | tree. snip
| |
| |
| | Gleditsia triacanthos 'Sunburst'.
| | --
| |
| | Sacha
| |

| (Top posting changed)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ages/355.shtml

| looks nice, ta! now where to buy one?
|
| rpm
|
| Where do you live? Once we know that, someone with the Plant Finder book
| can look up a nursery for you that might be able to help.
|
| --
|
| Sacha

Staffordshire/sth. Derbyshire area

rpm

Sacha 06-05-2003 12:08 PM

Nice tree for a smallish garden?

in article , Randall P.
McMurphy at wrote on 5/5/03 3:06 pm:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip
| Where do you live? Once we know that, someone with the Plant Finder book
| can look up a nursery for you that might be able to help.
|
| --
|
| Sacha

Staffordshire/sth. Derbyshire area

rpm

That particular Gleditsia is listed as "over 30 suppliers" which means the
RHS think it so widespread, there's no point in listing the suppliers.
However, here are a few who do other Gleditsias: Ashwood Nurseries at
Kingswinford 01384 401996, Barncroft Nurseries, 01538 384310, Bluebell
Nursery, Ashby de la Zouch, 01530 413700, Bridgemere Nurseries, Nantwich
01270 521100, Bridge Nurseries, Napton on the Hill, nr Rugby 01926 812737.
The last two don't do mail order.

--

Sacha

Anthony Anson 06-05-2003 10:20 PM

Nice tree for a smallish garden?

Winter flowering viburnum?

Similar shape to laburnum, slightly smaller, slower growing, has small
compact clumps - not quite pannicles, not quite umbels - of small pink
highly scented flowers which last from late autumn until april-ish on
the bare twigs. Leaves arrive around now.

Might not like a very alkaline soil, otherwise easy and hardy.

--
Tony

Visit my turntable workshop http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/