Old 03-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Randall P. McMurphy

Default Nice tree for a smallish garden?

can someone recommend a nice small tree....about the size of a Laburnum
tree. id like it to be fairly quick to grow.... colourful and not
poisonous. it will have a fairly sheltered life as it will be sheltered by
to sheds for the first 6 ft of life....but will get plenty of sun.

any suggestions?

ta

rpm

Old 04-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Randall P. McMurphy

nice one...getting into trees now!

rpm

Old 04-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Sacha

in article , Randall P.

wrote on 3/5/03 7:39 pm:

| can someone recommend a nice small tree....about the size of a Laburnum
| tree. snip
|

| Gleditsia triacanthos 'Sunburst'.
| --
|
| Sacha

(Top posting changed)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ages/355.shtml

looks nice, ta! now where to buy one?

rpm

Where do you live? Once we know that, someone with the Plant Finder book
can look up a nursery for you that might be able to help.

--

Sacha

Old 06-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Randall P. McMurphy

"Sacha" wrote in message
| in article , Randall P.
| McMurphy at wrote on 3/5/03 11:57 pm:
|

| "Sacha" wrote in message
| | in article , Randall
P.
| | McMurphy at
wrote on 3/5/03 7:39 pm:
| |
| | can someone recommend a nice small tree....about the size of a
Laburnum
| | tree. snip
| |
| |
| | Gleditsia triacanthos 'Sunburst'.
| | --
| |
| | Sacha
| |

| (Top posting changed)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ages/355.shtml

| looks nice, ta! now where to buy one?
|
| rpm
|
| Where do you live? Once we know that, someone with the Plant Finder book
| can look up a nursery for you that might be able to help.
|
| --
|
| Sacha

Staffordshire/sth. Derbyshire area

rpm

Old 06-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Anthony Anson

Winter flowering viburnum?

Similar shape to laburnum, slightly smaller, slower growing, has small
compact clumps - not quite pannicles, not quite umbels - of small pink
highly scented flowers which last from late autumn until april-ish on
the bare twigs. Leaves arrive around now.

Might not like a very alkaline soil, otherwise easy and hardy.

--
Tony

Visit my turntable workshop http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/