GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Is it OK to put bath water on the veg plot? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/202853-ok-put-bath-water-veg-plot.html)

Chris[_3_] 30-03-2012 10:11 AM

--
Chris

Jake 30-03-2012 11:15 AM

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:11:49 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

Is it OK to put bath water on the veg plot?

A lot depends on what soaps etc., you use when bathing but, in
general, the advice is not to use grey water on edible crops because
of the pathogen risk.

The RHS has some more detailed advice at http://tinyurl.com/7w8pdh4

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the east end of the totally
dry and sunny Swansea Bay.

[email protected] 30-03-2012 12:54 PM

Is it OK to put bath water on the veg plot?

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:11:49 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

Is it OK to put bath water on the veg plot?

To quote an old comment from GQT, that might be 'more like a liquid
feed'.

Regards
JonH

NT 30-03-2012 10:03 PM

On Mar 30, 10:11*am, Chris ] wrote:
Is it OK to put bath water on the veg plot?

Some people worry about pathogens. Soil is already well endowed with
pathogens. If veg are washed and/or cooked before consumption, the
pathogen levels are reduced to a non-problem level. (Healthy food is
far from sterile.)

NT

Moonraker 01-04-2012 11:32 AM

On 30/03/2012 12:54, wrote:
On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:11:49 +0100, ] wrote:

Is it OK to put bath water on the veg plot?

To quote an old comment from GQT, that might be 'more like a liquid
feed'.

Regards
JonH

This morning there was an expert on Radio4 giving expert advice. He said
ok on anything but lawns and veg as there would be nasty germs in the
water. However someone asked what to do about the water you have to run
to get it warm, and is wasted. His suggestion was save it in a bottle
place in the fridge then drink. This was for the header tank type of hot
water. A definite no no, there could be dead vermin in the header tanks,
so what does he know? Huh, expert hey!

Danny Colyer[_3_] 01-04-2012 01:17 PM

On 01/04/2012 11:32, Moonraker wrote:
This morning there was an expert on Radio4 giving expert advice. He said
ok on anything but lawns and veg as there would be nasty germs in the
water. However someone asked what to do about the water you have to run
to get it warm, and is wasted. His suggestion was save it in a bottle
place in the fridge then drink. This was for the header tank type of hot
water. A definite no no, there could be dead vermin in the header tanks,
so what does he know? Huh, expert hey!

I use it to top up my water butt in summer and to flush the toilet in
winter.

--
Danny Colyer http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down. This should be every boy's

hugh 01-04-2012 11:32 PM

Is it OK to put bath water on the veg plot?

In message , Danny
Colyer writes
On 01/04/2012 11:32, Moonraker wrote:
This morning there was an expert on Radio4 giving expert advice. He said
ok on anything but lawns and veg as there would be nasty germs in the
water. However someone asked what to do about the water you have to run
to get it warm, and is wasted. His suggestion was save it in a bottle
place in the fridge then drink. This was for the header tank type of hot
water. A definite no no, there could be dead vermin in the header tanks,
so what does he know? Huh, expert hey!

I use it to top up my water butt in summer and to flush the toilet in
winter.

And it's surprising how much you can collect in a day.
--
hugh

Dave Hill 02-04-2012 09:35 AM

On Mar 30, 10:11*am, Chris ] wrote:
Is it OK to put bath water on the veg plot?
--
Chris

I'd say yes if you havn't added to many chemicals to the bath,
But do remember to take the baby out first.

Christina Websell 06-04-2012 11:47 PM

"Moonraker" wrote in message
On 30/03/2012 12:54, wrote:
On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:11:49 +0100, ] wrote:

Is it OK to put bath water on the veg plot?

To quote an old comment from GQT, that might be 'more like a liquid
feed'.

Regards
JonH

This morning there was an expert on Radio4 giving expert advice. He said
ok on anything but lawns and veg as there would be nasty germs in the
water. However someone asked what to do about the water you have to run to
get it warm, and is wasted. His suggestion was save it in a bottle place
in the fridge then drink. This was for the header tank type of hot water.
A definite no no, there could be dead vermin in the header tanks, so what
does he know? Huh, expert hey!

I have a header tank in my loft to provide even cold water for upstairs and
I definitely would not drink it. My warm water comes from an immersion
heater.
I don't think modern houses are built without all cold water coming from the
mains now, but mine is a 30's house and it was.
I only have mains cold water downstairs.
Tina