Old 30-03-2012, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is it OK to put bath water on the veg plot?

Is it OK to put bath water on the veg plot?
--
Chris
Old 30-03-2012, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:11:49 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

Is it OK to put bath water on the veg plot?

A lot depends on what soaps etc., you use when bathing but, in
general, the advice is not to use grey water on edible crops because
of the pathogen risk.

The RHS has some more detailed advice at http://tinyurl.com/7w8pdh4

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the east end of the totally
dry and sunny Swansea Bay.
Old 30-03-2012, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:11:49 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

Is it OK to put bath water on the veg plot?

To quote an old comment from GQT, that might be 'more like a liquid
feed'.

Regards
JonH
Old 30-03-2012, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On Mar 30, 10:11*am, Chris ] wrote:
Is it OK to put bath water on the veg plot?

Some people worry about pathogens. Soil is already well endowed with
pathogens. If veg are washed and/or cooked before consumption, the
pathogen levels are reduced to a non-problem level. (Healthy food is
far from sterile.)

NT
Old 01-04-2012, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/04/2012 11:32, Moonraker wrote:
This morning there was an expert on Radio4 giving expert advice. He said
ok on anything but lawns and veg as there would be nasty germs in the
water. However someone asked what to do about the water you have to run
to get it warm, and is wasted. His suggestion was save it in a bottle
place in the fridge then drink. This was for the header tank type of hot
water. A definite no no, there could be dead vermin in the header tanks,
so what does he know? Huh, expert hey!

I use it to top up my water butt in summer and to flush the toilet in
winter.

--
Danny Colyer http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down. This should be every boy's
Old 01-04-2012, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Danny
Colyer writes
On 01/04/2012 11:32, Moonraker wrote:
This morning there was an expert on Radio4 giving expert advice. He said
ok on anything but lawns and veg as there would be nasty germs in the
water. However someone asked what to do about the water you have to run
to get it warm, and is wasted. His suggestion was save it in a bottle
place in the fridge then drink. This was for the header tank type of hot
water. A definite no no, there could be dead vermin in the header tanks,
so what does he know? Huh, expert hey!

I use it to top up my water butt in summer and to flush the toilet in
winter.

And it's surprising how much you can collect in a day.
--
hugh
Old 02-04-2012, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Mar 30, 10:11*am, Chris ] wrote:
Is it OK to put bath water on the veg plot?
--
Chris

I'd say yes if you havn't added to many chemicals to the bath,
But do remember to take the baby out first.

Veg plot - invasive conifer roots. Orson Kart United Kingdom 3 03-03-2006 04:53 PM
Container Veg plot in shade fourmations United Kingdom 3 16-01-2006 11:52 PM
wood ash on veg plot middleton.walker United Kingdom 13 17-12-2005 12:59 AM
new veg plot graham United Kingdom 10 20-08-2003 01:06 AM
What to grow in crap half of veg plot Rosie United Kingdom 4 22-03-2003 11:30 AM