GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant IDs needed please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/202888-plant-ids-needed-please.html)

David56802 01-04-2012 04:25 PM

Plant IDs needed please

3 Attachment(s)
Any ideas?

The first I saw growing wild - the second and third are in a garden.

Thanks in advance.

kay 01-04-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David56802 (Post 954695)
Any ideas?

The first I saw growing wild - the second and third are in a garden.

Thanks in advance.

1) wallflower
2) The yellow flower and the water-lily-shaped leaves are lesser celandine, an invasive uk native, the rosettes are probably London Pride, a saxifrage which will later have pink-stalked loose spikes of small white flowers.
3) Snow-in-Summer, which will in due course have a glorious burst of being smothered in white flowers.

David56802 01-04-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kay (Post 954708)
1) wallflower
2) The yellow flower and the water-lily-shaped leaves are lesser celandine, an invasive uk native, the rosettes are probably London Pride, a saxifrage which will later have pink-stalked loose spikes of small white flowers.
3) Snow-in-Summer, which will in due course have a glorious burst of being smothered in white flowers.

Much obliged for the IDs.

I must confess I thought the yellow flowers belonged to the saxifrage when I took the picture!

The Snow-in-Summer is in my parents' garden. I don't think it has ever flowered in my lifetime, but maybe it will this year.

kay 02-04-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David56802 (Post 954741)
Much obliged for the IDs.

I must confess I thought the yellow flowers belonged to the saxifrage when I took the picture!

The Snow-in-Summer is in my parents' garden. I don't think it has ever flowered in my lifetime, but maybe it will this year.

Maybe it's not Snow-in-summer - looking again it could almost be rockrose, but the quantity of dead leaves is rather large for rockrose. Either way, it's not looking overly happy! If it were mine, I'd try for a start getting rid of some of the soil underneath it and putting in some better soil.

Christina Websell 06-04-2012 11:34 PM

Plant IDs needed please

"kay" wrote in message

David56802;954695 Wrote:
Any ideas?

The first I saw growing wild - the second and third are in a garden.

Thanks in advance.

1) wallflower
2) The yellow flower and the water-lily-shaped leaves are lesser
celandine, an invasive uk native, the rosettes are probably London
Pride, a saxifrage which will later have pink-stalked loose spikes of
small white flowers.
3) Snow-in-Summer, which will in due course have a glorious burst of
being smothered in white flowers.

I think your London Pride ID is a sedum.

Dave Hill 07-04-2012 09:12 AM

Plant IDs needed please

On Apr 6, 11:34*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"kay" wrote in message

David56802;954695 Wrote:
Any ideas?

The first I saw growing wild - the second and third are in a garden.

Thanks in advance.

1) wallflower
2) The yellow flower and the water-lily-shaped leaves are lesser
celandine, an invasive uk native, the rosettes are probably London
Pride, a saxifrage which will later have pink-stalked loose spikes of
small white flowers.
3) Snow-in-Summer, which will in due course have a glorious burst of
being smothered in white flowers.

I think your London Pride ID is a sedum.- Hide quoted text -

London pride is Saxifraga × urbium
http://www.english-country-garden.co...ndon-pride.htm

kay 07-04-2012 10:49 AM

You mean one of those rather flat leaved ones? Not fleshy enough for the stone-crop type of sedum.

But the leaf shape and venation is very similar to other non-fleshy saxifrages, and is a good match for the leaves in the link posted by Dave Hill.

Christina Websell 11-04-2012 11:11 PM

Plant IDs needed please

"kay" wrote in message

Christina Websell;955229 Wrote:
"kay" wrote in message
...-

-
I think your London Pride ID is a sedum.

You mean one of those rather flat leaved ones? Not fleshy enough for the
stone-crop type of sedum.

But the leaf shape and venation is very similar to other non-fleshy
saxifrages, and is a good match for the leaves in the link posted by
Dave Hill.

I meant this one:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...es/10608.shtml

Janet 12-04-2012 10:39 AM

Plant IDs needed please

In article ,
says...

"kay" wrote in message

Christina Websell;955229 Wrote:
"kay"
wrote in message
...-

David56802;954695 Wrote:-
[...]

Sedum spectabile leaves grow up the stems, and have a bluish tinge. The
OP's pic shows a bright green low rosette typical of London Pride.

Janet

kay 12-04-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christina Websell (Post 955733)
"kay" wrote in message

Christina Websell;955229 Wrote:
"kay"
wrote in message
...-

David56802;954695 Wrote:-
[...]

BBC - Gardening: Plant Finder - Sedum

Definitely not. Leaves wrong colour (green rather than grey), and far too small - you have the celandine flowers for comparison. I thought you meant something like Sedum spurium, but thinking about it, the reason I'm sure it's not, is that the sedum loses its leaves at a greater rate, so it tends to have bare stems with a tuft of leaves at the end, rather than the well clothed stems of the saxifrage.