Old 01-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Registered User

Default Plant IDs needed please

Any ideas?

The first I saw growing wild - the second and third are in a garden.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Plant IDs needed please-pic1.jpg   Plant IDs needed please-pic2.jpg   Plant IDs needed please-pic3.jpg
Old 01-04-2012, 04:52 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David56802 View Post
Any ideas?

The first I saw growing wild - the second and third are in a garden.

Thanks in advance.
1) wallflower
2) The yellow flower and the water-lily-shaped leaves are lesser celandine, an invasive uk native, the rosettes are probably London Pride, a saxifrage which will later have pink-stalked loose spikes of small white flowers.
3) Snow-in-Summer, which will in due course have a glorious burst of being smothered in white flowers.
__________________
Old 01-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
1) wallflower
2) The yellow flower and the water-lily-shaped leaves are lesser celandine, an invasive uk native, the rosettes are probably London Pride, a saxifrage which will later have pink-stalked loose spikes of small white flowers.
3) Snow-in-Summer, which will in due course have a glorious burst of being smothered in white flowers.
Much obliged for the IDs.

I must confess I thought the yellow flowers belonged to the saxifrage when I took the picture!

The Snow-in-Summer is in my parents' garden. I don't think it has ever flowered in my lifetime, but maybe it will this year.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:24 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David56802 View Post
Much obliged for the IDs.

I must confess I thought the yellow flowers belonged to the saxifrage when I took the picture!

The Snow-in-Summer is in my parents' garden. I don't think it has ever flowered in my lifetime, but maybe it will this year.
Maybe it's not Snow-in-summer - looking again it could almost be rockrose, but the quantity of dead leaves is rather large for rockrose. Either way, it's not looking overly happy! If it were mine, I'd try for a start getting rid of some of the soil underneath it and putting in some better soil.
__________________
Old 06-04-2012, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

David56802;954695 Wrote:
Any ideas?

The first I saw growing wild - the second and third are in a garden.

Thanks in advance.

1) wallflower
2) The yellow flower and the water-lily-shaped leaves are lesser
celandine, an invasive uk native, the rosettes are probably London
Pride, a saxifrage which will later have pink-stalked loose spikes of
small white flowers.
3) Snow-in-Summer, which will in due course have a glorious burst of
being smothered in white flowers.

I think your London Pride ID is a sedum.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 6, 11:34*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"kay" wrote in message

David56802;954695 Wrote:
Any ideas?

The first I saw growing wild - the second and third are in a garden.

Thanks in advance.

1) wallflower
2) The yellow flower and the water-lily-shaped leaves are lesser
celandine, an invasive uk native, the rosettes are probably London
Pride, a saxifrage which will later have pink-stalked loose spikes of
small white flowers.
3) Snow-in-Summer, which will in due course have a glorious burst of
being smothered in white flowers.

I think your London Pride ID is a sedum.- Hide quoted text -

London pride is Saxifraga × urbium
http://www.english-country-garden.co...ndon-pride.htm
Old 07-04-2012, 10:49 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

You mean one of those rather flat leaved ones? Not fleshy enough for the stone-crop type of sedum.

But the leaf shape and venation is very similar to other non-fleshy saxifrages, and is a good match for the leaves in the link posted by Dave Hill.
__________________
Old 12-04-2012, 12:15 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Definitely not. Leaves wrong colour (green rather than grey), and far too small - you have the celandine flowers for comparison. I thought you meant something like Sedum spurium, but thinking about it, the reason I'm sure it's not, is that the sedum loses its leaves at a greater rate, so it tends to have bare stems with a tuft of leaves at the end, rather than the well clothed stems of the saxifrage.

Plant IDs please David56802 United Kingdom 3 08-05-2014 07:38 AM
Plant IDs please mark United Kingdom 6 23-07-2013 09:21 PM
Plant IDs - please janka Plant Science 6 27-01-2007 04:58 PM
Two plant IDs please Sacha United Kingdom 6 19-11-2006 11:50 PM
Plant IDs please - worrisit ? adm United Kingdom 37 07-06-2006 05:12 PM