GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Shrub ID appreciated! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/203003-shrub-id-appreciated.html)

SueBee38 08-04-2012 07:07 PM

Shrub ID appreciated!

1 Attachment(s)
We have this shrub in our front garden and next door neighbour also has a larger one. Have also seen it growing wild. (We are in an Oxfordshire village).

Ours is about 4ft tall with mid green leaves and dark pink bell shaped flowers that smell a little of cat pee! The photo is accurate but the wind was blowing hence slight blurring (our soil is quite heavy clay type.)

I'd love to know what it is please as I am a total novice.

Bob Hobden 08-04-2012 10:30 PM

Shrub ID appreciated!

"SueBee38" wrote

We have this shrub in our front garden and next door neighbour also has
a larger one. Have also seen it growing wild. (We are in an Oxfordshire
village).

Ours is about 4ft tall with mid green leaves and dark pink bell shaped
flowers that smell a little of cat pee! The photo is accurate but the
wind was blowing hence slight blurring (our soil is quite heavy clay
type.)

I'd love to know what it is please as I am a total novice.

|Filename: shrub.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14873|

Flowering currant, Ribes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribes
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Stewart Robert Hinsley 08-04-2012 10:53 PM

Shrub ID appreciated!

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
"SueBee38" wrote

We have this shrub in our front garden and next door neighbour also has
a larger one. Have also seen it growing wild. (We are in an Oxfordshire
village).

Ours is about 4ft tall with mid green leaves and dark pink bell shaped
flowers that smell a little of cat pee! The photo is accurate but the
wind was blowing hence slight blurring (our soil is quite heavy clay
type.)

I'd love to know what it is please as I am a total novice.

|Filename: shrub.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14873|

Flowering currant, Ribes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribes

Specifically Ribes sanguineum, and it looks like one of the darker
flowered cultivars.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

SueBee38 09-04-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hobden (Post 955421)
"SueBee38" wrote

We have this shrub in our front garden and next door neighbour also has
a larger one. Have also seen it growing wild. (We are in an Oxfordshire
village).

Ours is about 4ft tall with mid green leaves and dark pink bell shaped
flowers that smell a little of cat pee! The photo is accurate but the
wind was blowing hence slight blurring (our soil is quite heavy clay
type.)

I'd love to know what it is please as I am a total novice.

|Filename: shrub.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14873|

Flowering currant, Ribes.
Ribes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Many thanks for the info.

SueBee38 09-04-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley (Post 955423)
In message , Bob Hobden
writes
"SueBee38" wrote

We have this shrub in our front garden and next door neighbour also has
a larger one. Have also seen it growing wild. (We are in an Oxfordshire
village).

Ours is about 4ft tall with mid green leaves and dark pink bell shaped
flowers that smell a little of cat pee! The photo is accurate but the
wind was blowing hence slight blurring (our soil is quite heavy clay
type.)

I'd love to know what it is please as I am a total novice.

|Filename: shrub.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14873|

Flowering currant, Ribes.
Ribes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Specifically Ribes sanguineum, and it looks like one of the darker
flowered cultivars.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Thank you for the clarification.