Old 08-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Registered User

Default Shrub ID appreciated!

We have this shrub in our front garden and next door neighbour also has a larger one. Have also seen it growing wild. (We are in an Oxfordshire village).

Ours is about 4ft tall with mid green leaves and dark pink bell shaped flowers that smell a little of cat pee! The photo is accurate but the wind was blowing hence slight blurring (our soil is quite heavy clay type.)

I'd love to know what it is please as I am a total novice.
Attached Thumbnails
Shrub ID appreciated!-shrub.jpg
Old 08-04-2012, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"SueBee38" wrote

We have this shrub in our front garden and next door neighbour also has
a larger one. Have also seen it growing wild. (We are in an Oxfordshire
village).

Ours is about 4ft tall with mid green leaves and dark pink bell shaped
flowers that smell a little of cat pee! The photo is accurate but the
wind was blowing hence slight blurring (our soil is quite heavy clay
type.)

I'd love to know what it is please as I am a total novice.

|Filename: shrub.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14873|

Flowering currant, Ribes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribes
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
"SueBee38" wrote

We have this shrub in our front garden and next door neighbour also has
a larger one. Have also seen it growing wild. (We are in an Oxfordshire
village).

Ours is about 4ft tall with mid green leaves and dark pink bell shaped
flowers that smell a little of cat pee! The photo is accurate but the
wind was blowing hence slight blurring (our soil is quite heavy clay
type.)

I'd love to know what it is please as I am a total novice.

|Filename: shrub.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14873|

Flowering currant, Ribes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribes

Specifically Ribes sanguineum, and it looks like one of the darker
flowered cultivars.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 09-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"SueBee38" wrote

We have this shrub in our front garden and next door neighbour also has
a larger one. Have also seen it growing wild. (We are in an Oxfordshire
village).

Ours is about 4ft tall with mid green leaves and dark pink bell shaped
flowers that smell a little of cat pee! The photo is accurate but the
wind was blowing hence slight blurring (our soil is quite heavy clay
type.)

I'd love to know what it is please as I am a total novice.

|Filename: shrub.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14873|

Flowering currant, Ribes.
Ribes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Many thanks for the info.