Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-04-2012, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ooohhh-my aching back

Just back from the allotment, where I spent about 3 hours digging a strip to
clear out the weeds and couch grass.
I am now totally knackered.
Two more widths like that cleared and we will have nearly half our 5 rod
plot cleared and either ready for planting or already planted with
raspberries and other soft fruit which were already there.

The old regulars (not often these days someone greets you with "Hello, young
man") keep telling us that we are doing well and we will soon be fed up
because we have run out of things to do.

Yeah, right.

Anyway, I am clearing a strip, letting it settle, then clearing the strip
next to it, then planting the first strip.
And so on.

Put in a row of boltardy beetroot and a row of greyhound cabbage today.
Found some celery in the jungle, and moved it to a clear spot. Some of it
looked self seeded.

God alone knows how some of the old boys maintained 30 rod plots and more
when allotments weren't popular.
I reckon we can get a 5 rod plot under control and sorted over a 2 year
period - clear it year 1 and go back over and eradicate the persistent weeds
year 2.
After that it will hopefully be plain sailing as the soil is good and has
been well worked in the past.

Mind you, plot next door has already been dug over and is sitting there
waiting for stuff to emerge.
Bloke has even taken to helping us clear docks from our plot - I suspect
there are two motives the
(1) He likes to dig and all his plot is dug so he's bored.
(2) Nobody wants docks flowering and setting seed next door.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder