GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   scented viola/pansy (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/203300-scented-viola-pansy.html)

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 27-04-2012 11:06 AM

scented viola/pansy

I bought a wonderful pansy/viola this weekend.
It's called Rebecca and is blue and yellow but pale the scent is
absolutely wonderful and i could smell the three plants i bought all the
way home in the car!! The warmer they are the more the fragrance comes
out and I have to say I find many violas /pansies don't have any
discernible scent
--
Janet Tweedy

Spider[_3_] 29-04-2012 06:24 PM

scented viola/pansy

On 27/04/2012 11:06, Janet Tweedy wrote:

I bought a wonderful pansy/viola this weekend.
It's called Rebecca and is blue and yellow but pale the scent is
absolutely wonderful and i could smell the three plants i bought all the
way home in the car!! The warmer they are the more the fragrance comes
out and I have to say I find many violas /pansies don't have any
discernible scent

I know exactly the one you mean, Janet. I lost mine. I think something
ate it, but it's compost by now. It's a lovely plant. Alas, I haven't
got a nose, so hardly noticed the scent :~(.

[As RG would say "My wife's got no nose" ... "How does she smell?" ...]
There's usually a cheeky answer! :~))

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 30-04-2012 01:02 AM

scented viola/pansy

In article , Spider
writes
I know exactly the one you mean, Janet. I lost mine. I think
something ate it, but it's compost by now.

Well once i get cuttings i am happy to send you one:)
--
Janet Tweedy

Pam Moore[_2_] 30-04-2012 09:55 AM

scented viola/pansy

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 11:06:38 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

I bought a wonderful pansy/viola this weekend.
It's called Rebecca and is blue and yellow but pale the scent is
absolutely wonderful and i could smell the three plants i bought all the
way home in the car!! The warmer they are the more the fragrance comes
out and I have to say I find many violas /pansies don't have any
discernible scent

I bought a planter of mini-violas last year. The plants sat by my
front door all winter with no flowers. I think they may have been a
bit dry, so when warmer weather came I watered them and within a week
they were in full flower, and beautifully scented.
In garden centres I go round displays of cyclamen and pansies picking
up plants and smelling them. Some have scent, many do not,
particularly cyclamen.

Pam in Bristol

Spider[_3_] 01-05-2012 05:10 PM

scented viola/pansy

On 30/04/2012 01:02, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Spider
writes
I know exactly the one you mean, Janet. I lost mine. I think something
ate it, but it's compost by now.

Well once i get cuttings i am happy to send you one:)

Oh, Janet, that is very sweet of you! Do wait and see how they grow for
you first. I suppose they don't come true from seed do they? Posting
seeds would certainly be easier.