Old 27-04-2012, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default scented viola/pansy

I bought a wonderful pansy/viola this weekend.
It's called Rebecca and is blue and yellow but pale the scent is
absolutely wonderful and i could smell the three plants i bought all the
way home in the car!! The warmer they are the more the fragrance comes
out and I have to say I find many violas /pansies don't have any
discernible scent
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 29-04-2012, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/04/2012 11:06, Janet Tweedy wrote:

I bought a wonderful pansy/viola this weekend.
It's called Rebecca and is blue and yellow but pale the scent is
absolutely wonderful and i could smell the three plants i bought all the
way home in the car!! The warmer they are the more the fragrance comes
out and I have to say I find many violas /pansies don't have any
discernible scent

I know exactly the one you mean, Janet. I lost mine. I think something
ate it, but it's compost by now. It's a lovely plant. Alas, I haven't
got a nose, so hardly noticed the scent :~(.

[As RG would say "My wife's got no nose" ... "How does she smell?" ...]
There's usually a cheeky answer! :~))

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 30-04-2012, 01:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Spider
writes
I know exactly the one you mean, Janet. I lost mine. I think
something ate it, but it's compost by now.

Well once i get cuttings i am happy to send you one
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 30-04-2012, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 11:06:38 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

I bought a wonderful pansy/viola this weekend.
It's called Rebecca and is blue and yellow but pale the scent is
absolutely wonderful and i could smell the three plants i bought all the
way home in the car!! The warmer they are the more the fragrance comes
out and I have to say I find many violas /pansies don't have any
discernible scent

I bought a planter of mini-violas last year. The plants sat by my
front door all winter with no flowers. I think they may have been a
bit dry, so when warmer weather came I watered them and within a week
they were in full flower, and beautifully scented.
In garden centres I go round displays of cyclamen and pansies picking
up plants and smelling them. Some have scent, many do not,
particularly cyclamen.

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-05-2012, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/04/2012 01:02, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Spider
writes
I know exactly the one you mean, Janet. I lost mine. I think something
ate it, but it's compost by now.

Well once i get cuttings i am happy to send you one

Oh, Janet, that is very sweet of you! Do wait and see how they grow for
you first. I suppose they don't come true from seed do they? Posting
seeds would certainly be easier.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
gardening on clay

Purple pansy Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 12:46 AM
Lemon-scented something - lemon-scented.jpg Ann Garden Photos 5 07-08-2007 06:09 PM
Forest Red Pansy Problem BiG Orange Gardening 0 20-05-2003 10:08 PM
Pansy trouble Kathy Gardening 0 22-02-2003 07:39 PM
Pansy Black Spot? trevor.appleton United Kingdom 0 19-11-2002 07:08 PM