Old 01-05-2012, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bad weekend

In article , wrote:
harry wrote:

We have a gadget makes pots from newspapers. I plant seed in these &
put in heated propagator. Takes about 10 days to appear.

My gadget is an old beer bottle - that's all you need!

To Vicky - the reason I do it is that I was getting a 5% success
rate planting directly, whether I pregerminated or not. With my
current approach, I get a 95% success rate, except (for some strange
reason) for green beans. I do it for my spare broad beans, runners,
and climbing blue, borlotti, pea bean and (ha!) green.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5/1/2012 3:19 AM, harry wrote:

We have a gadget makes pots from newspapers. I plant seed in these&
put in heated propagator. Takes about 10 days to appear.

I've seen those, but I use an off-cut of plastic pipe as a form for mine.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
On Apr 30, 8:26 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

snippy

On Apr 30, 4:21 pm, "Pete C" wrote:

Spray surface of compost with fungicide. Copper based if you can get
it. This helps with all seedlings ,esp. under glass.

Harry, can you quote a brand/source please.
Thanks
Pete C

Old 01-05-2012, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 30, 4:21 pm, "Pete C" wrote:

Spray surface of compost with fungicide. *Copper based if you can get
it. *This helps with all seedlings ,esp. under glass.

Harry, can you quote a brand/source please.
Thanks
Pete C

See if you can find Bordeau mixture or Cheshunt compound.

It is the traditional fungicide that saved the Irish from extinction.
(Potato famine)

Most garden centres have/had it. If not, you wil lhave to look out
for some other fungicide.

I hear those EU *******s want to ban it, so get a bit in if you can.
I think it's a mixture of lime and copper carbonate/sulphate (forget
which).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordeaux_mixture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshunt#Industry
http://www.hortweek.com/news/login/1060099/
Old 01-05-2012, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 1 May 2012 10:17:29 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Apr 30, 4:21 pm, "Pete C" wrote:

Spray surface of compost with fungicide. *Copper based if you can get
it. *This helps with all seedlings ,esp. under glass.

Harry, can you quote a brand/source please.
Thanks
Pete C

See if you can find Bordeau mixture or Cheshunt compound.

It is the traditional fungicide that saved the Irish from extinction.
(Potato famine)

Most garden centres have/had it. If not, you wil lhave to look out
for some other fungicide.

I hear those EU *******s want to ban it, so get a bit in if you can.
I think it's a mixture of lime and copper carbonate/sulphate (forget
which).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordeaux_mixture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshunt#Industry
http://www.hortweek.com/news/login/1060099/

There are alternatives, albeit more expensive and allegedly less
effective.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/media/pdfs/advice/fungicides

But, I'm stocking up. No sales after 2013.

Regards
JonH

Old 01-05-2012, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
On May 1, 3:31 pm, "Pete C" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On Apr 30, 8:26 pm, "Pete C" wrote: "harry"
wrote in message

snippy

On Apr 30, 4:21 pm, "Pete C" wrote:

Spray surface of compost with fungicide. Copper based if you can get
it. This helps with all seedlings ,esp. under glass.

Harry, can you quote a brand/source please.
Thanks
Pete C

See if you can find Bordeau mixture or Cheshunt compound.

It is the traditional fungicide that saved the Irish from extinction.
(Potato famine)

Most garden centres have/had it. If not, you wil lhave to look out
for some other fungicide.

I hear those EU *******s want to ban it, so get a bit in if you can.
I think it's a mixture of lime and copper carbonate/sulphate (forget
which).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordeaux_mixture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshunt#Industry
http://www.hortweek.com/news/login/1060099/