GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sweetcorn woes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/203495-sweetcorn-woes.html)

[email protected] 10-05-2012 09:00 PM

Sweetcorn woes

I germinated mine on paper, put them in paper pots, and then moved
them outside when it was warm enough. Woe is me! Quite a few are
dying, with grey, rotten leaves, and many of the vigorous ones have
'dry' (i.e. straw-coloured and dead) streaks, especially near their
tips. I suspect waterlogging, due to continual overwatering of the
natural variety :-(

Does anyone recognise the second symptom, and do you agree with my
suspicions? The first symptom I am pretty sure of - anyway, those
plants will be dead shortly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

harry 11-05-2012 07:16 AM

Sweetcorn woes

On May 10, 9:00*pm, wrote:
I germinated mine on paper, put them in paper pots, and then moved
them outside when it was warm enough. *Woe is me! *Quite a few are
dying, with grey, rotten leaves, and many of the vigorous ones have
'dry' (i.e. straw-coloured and dead) streaks, especially near their
tips. *I suspect waterlogging, due to continual overwatering of the
natural variety :-(

Does anyone recognise the second symptom, and do you agree with my
suspicions? *The first symptom I am pretty sure of - anyway, those
plants will be dead shortly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

It needs to be really warm outside and you must harden sweetcorn off
before you put them out. I won't put mine out for another three weeks.
(Midlands)
Ground needs to be well drained/fertile

Baz[_4_] 11-05-2012 02:43 PM

Sweetcorn woes

wrote in :

I germinated mine on paper, put them in paper pots, and then moved
them outside when it was warm enough. Woe is me! Quite a few are
dying, with grey, rotten leaves, and many of the vigorous ones have
'dry' (i.e. straw-coloured and dead) streaks, especially near their
tips. I suspect waterlogging, due to continual overwatering of the
natural variety :-(

Does anyone recognise the second symptom, and do you agree with my
suspicions? The first symptom I am pretty sure of - anyway, those
plants will be dead shortly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I have resown mine in my sons consevatory, due to a waterlogged garden at
home, and have similar problems. In fact nothing I have resown has come on
very well. I don't think I overwatered them.
Could it be unusually cold weather for the time of year?
I am going to re-resow everything I think. Start anew, again!

Are you going to start over again?

Good luck.
Baz