Old 10-05-2012, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sweetcorn woes

I germinated mine on paper, put them in paper pots, and then moved
them outside when it was warm enough. Woe is me! Quite a few are
dying, with grey, rotten leaves, and many of the vigorous ones have
'dry' (i.e. straw-coloured and dead) streaks, especially near their
tips. I suspect waterlogging, due to continual overwatering of the
natural variety :-(

Does anyone recognise the second symptom, and do you agree with my
suspicions? The first symptom I am pretty sure of - anyway, those
plants will be dead shortly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 10, 9:00*pm, wrote:
I germinated mine on paper, put them in paper pots, and then moved
them outside when it was warm enough. *Woe is me! *Quite a few are
dying, with grey, rotten leaves, and many of the vigorous ones have
'dry' (i.e. straw-coloured and dead) streaks, especially near their
tips. *I suspect waterlogging, due to continual overwatering of the
natural variety :-(

Does anyone recognise the second symptom, and do you agree with my
suspicions? *The first symptom I am pretty sure of - anyway, those
plants will be dead shortly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

It needs to be really warm outside and you must harden sweetcorn off
before you put them out. I won't put mine out for another three weeks.
(Midlands)
Ground needs to be well drained/fertile