GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How to tell if a cutting has taken? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/203500-how-tell-if-cutting-has-taken.html)

Timothy Murphy 11-05-2012 12:10 PM

How to tell if a cutting has taken?

How can one tell if a cutting has rooted?

I've left half-a-dozen cuttings for about 3 weeks
in a Lidl set of 6 covered and warmed containers.
The leaves all look healthy.
Should I transfer them to pots?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Janet 11-05-2012 12:16 PM

How to tell if a cutting has taken?

In article , says...

How can one tell if a cutting has rooted?

I've left half-a-dozen cuttings for about 3 weeks
in a Lidl set of 6 covered and warmed containers.
The leaves all look healthy.
Should I transfer them to pots?

Not yet. If they have rooted, they won't yet have roots big enough to
need a bigger pot.

How to tell if cuttings have rooted; either, look at the bottom
drainage hole for signs of white root emerging. But you're unlikely to see
that after 3 weeks. Or, supporting the top of the compost with your
fingers, gently turn the pot upside down and very carefully slide the pot
off without breaking the compost shape, like making a sandpie. You may see
roots forming at the edge of the compost. Very carefully slide the pot
back on again.

Janet.

Muddymike[_2_] 11-05-2012 01:29 PM

How to tell if a cutting has taken?

How can one tell if a cutting has rooted?

It doesn't die:-) Well that's how I tell!

Mike

Martin Brown 11-05-2012 01:47 PM

On 11/05/2012 12:10, Timothy Murphy wrote:
How can one tell if a cutting has rooted?

I've left half-a-dozen cuttings for about 3 weeks
in a Lidl set of 6 covered and warmed containers.
The leaves all look healthy.
Should I transfer them to pots?

Leave well alone until roots poke out the bottom or the top growth is
starting to get too big - whichever happens first.

Most plants resent root disturbance to some extent.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Timothy Murphy 11-05-2012 01:49 PM

Janet wrote:

How can one tell if a cutting has rooted?

I've left half-a-dozen cuttings for about 3 weeks
in a Lidl set of 6 covered and warmed containers.
The leaves all look healthy.
Should I transfer them to pots?

How to tell if cuttings have rooted; either, look at the

bottom
drainage hole for signs of white root emerging. But you're

unlikely to see
that after 3 weeks.

Thanks for your response.
I'll leave the cuttings a little longer.
But roughly how long would you expect them to take?

They are mainly ceanothus cuttings.
I was hoping to take them to Italy.

Dave Hill 11-05-2012 02:29 PM

On May 11, 12:10*pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:
How can one tell if a cutting has rooted?

I've left half-a-dozen cuttings for about 3 weeks
in a Lidl set of 6 covered and warmed containers.
The leaves all look healthy.
Should I transfer them to pots?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Yours is a real piece of string qestion.
Some cuttings like Chrysanth and Fuchia could be rooted quite well in
3 weeks whilst othersubjects like some shrub cuttings could take 9
months or longer to root properly.
It is always a help to give as much info in your origional question
and not wait for someone to drag it out of you.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 11-05-2012 05:50 PM

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
Janet wrote:

How can one tell if a cutting has rooted?

I've left half-a-dozen cuttings for about 3 weeks
in a Lidl set of 6 covered and warmed containers.
The leaves all look healthy.
Should I transfer them to pots?

How to tell if cuttings have rooted; either, look at the

bottom
drainage hole for signs of white root emerging. But you're

unlikely to see
that after 3 weeks.

Thanks for your response.
I'll leave the cuttings a little longer.
But roughly how long would you expect them to take?

They are mainly ceanothus cuttings.
I was hoping to take them to Italy.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

It depends on what they are, for some Passiflora 5 days for Lapageria
between 1 and 2 years! Ceanothus I would say 5-6 weeks in good conditions
would be a reasonable guess.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

kay 11-05-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy Murphy (Post 958457)
I'll leave the cuttings a little longer.
But roughly how long would you expect them to take?

Months rather than weeks.

When I take cuttings in the second half of summer, I don't repot them until at least may the following year.

Peter Howard 12-05-2012 02:02 AM

How to tell if a cutting has taken?

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
They are mainly ceanothus cuttings.
I was hoping to take them to Italy.

Why? Plants have no appreciation of art, history or architecture and their
taste in food is markedly different to ours. Trust me, a month in Tuscany
will be wasted on them. Take me instead.
PH